ADVERTISEMENT

PROSPECT UPDATE: MATTHEW TAGO, ATH, QUARTZ HILL HS, CA.

Andrew Fronce

All-American Poster
Jan 6, 2016
Hey guys, I had a chance to talk with Matthew Tago tonight. Matthew is a 6'4", 225 lb ATH from Quartz Hill, California. He has been playing quarterback in high school, but Utah is looking at him as a LB/DE. He has the same build as great athletes in the past that Utah loved to take and convert to pass-rushers. I'll have more coming later, but here are some highlights from our conversation:

• Matthew told me he currently has ten offers, including three from P5 programs (Utah, Colorado, and Wazzu). Also, you guys will get a kick out of this, although he holds an offer from BYU, he didn't say a single thing about them during the whole interview, even after I told him I was affiliated with Utah.
  • Matthew told me that the most important thing he's looking for in a school is academics. He's interested in studying criminal justice.
  • Tago said he doesn't have a preference on whether he plays offense or defense in college, and said, "wherever they put me, I'm gonna go and compete."
  • Coach Harding and Coach Ena are both recruiting Matthew, he shared a funny story about Coach Ena, saying that he flew out to meet Matthew and size him up in person because "he didn't believe my real size, he had to come out and check it out for himself." He also said he thought it was cool that Coach Ena is Samoan like Matthew is.
I get the sense that Utah is in a good place with this kid, and I think the relationship with Coach Ena could bear fruit down the line. I'll have more in an upcoming article, but for now, here's the link to Matthew's profile, along with his hudl film. Give it a watch! I think you'll be impressed with his athleticism. Defensive highlights start shortly after the 8 minute mark.
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/matthew-tago-181128

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News