ADVERTISEMENT

Where everything stands for Utah before early signing day

Alex Markham

All-American Poster
Staff
Nov 16, 2011
What an unreal and crazy recruiting stretch for the back-to-back Pac-12 champs. It all started with landing Caleb Lomu—just after Thanksgiving—who then had a significant rise to a four-star ranking and a crazy rise into the Rivals250. Then Mikey Matthews the night before the Pac-12 championship game. Then Utah wins the Pac-12 championship the next day.

From there, it’s been a flood of three four-star local recruits: Fano, Clegg and Snowden.

Utah is suddenly up to six four-star commits. Dijon Stanley, Lomu and Matthews were all elevated to four-stars last week. Then the others that committed over the last week, as well.

So what remains?

I’ve reported that former CB commit CJ Blocker is still very real in the picture. That belief remains. He’s also recently been elevated to a four-star recruit.

The Utes have gained major traction with four-star and No. 3 ranked overall TE Walker Lyons. He’s still likely to wait until February, but I’d even say Utah is currently the team to beat.

With DT Tavake Tuikolovatu, the real threat to Utah here is UCLA, as he has family playing for the Bruins. WR JeyQuan Smith, who might wait until February signing day like Lyons. There’s also S Luke Talich who just visited this past weekend. Utah would have taken him even if Randon Fontenette had stayed committed. He’s extremely underrated because of playing ball in Wyoming.

Additionally, don’t forget about four-star running back John Randle Jr., the No. 22 rated back in 2023.

Others could get more in the picture over the next 9 days.

Utah is hitting the point where they need to be selective, because they also see plenty of opportunities in the transfer portal where numerous former four-star recruits have been in touch with them, as well as one of the former top players in the country. I’ll go in-depth on this portion when I can, but my sources say the program is keeping these things pretty secretive, again.

This is shaping up to be a better class than anyone could have imagined.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News