ADVERTISEMENT

What are the financial impacts of a new basketball coach?

heartlessute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Jan 7, 2006
The current situation seems untenable, but maybe not. Right now the average PAC12 HC salary is around $2 million per season with a high of $5.5 million at UCLA to a low of $1.4 million at WSU.

So the question is; "When is it viable financially to make a switch?"

After this year, Larry's buyout is $6 million.

If he coaches next year for $3.8 million his buyout is $3 million. If he were to coach the next 2 years, we would be paying him a total of $7.8 million as I believe his following years salary is $4 million.

So the minimum we will be paying for a HC over the next 2 seasons is $6.8 million but for a coach actually coaching we'd be paying a minimum of $7.8 million.

If we pay Larry his buyout, that leaves us $1.8 million to pay a new HC over the next 2 years.

If we use a $2 million average over 4 years for the next HC we're basically behind the 8 ball by $2.2 million.

My suggestion if we were going to make a change would be to do it after this season, but structure it so that the damage is minimized from a financial perspective.

Guarantee the new HC $8 million over the 4 years, but back end load it so we spread out the hit.

Year 1 $1.4 million
Year 2 $1.8 million
Year 3 $2.2 million
Year 4 $2.6 million

It could be something like that, but you get the idea.

At the end of the 4 years, we're actually at a net positive compared to our existing situation.

Maybe my numbers are too much to pay the next HC, I don't know, but just tossing out thoughts.

I've got to think Johnnie Bryant or another up and coming coach would seriously consider this if that's the direction Harlan chooses to go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News