ADVERTISEMENT

UTAH VS SJSU: INSTANT REACTION

Andrew Fronce

All-American Poster
Jan 6, 2016
Well, a game which started really ugly turned into a blowout win for the Utes. There were plenty of positives but also plenty of things that still need work. Here's what I took away from the game:

The Good

Darren Carrington, again. Over 150 yards receiving, 3 TDs. What a game for him it was! Tyler Huntley looked great as well, with nearly 350 yards passing and 4 TDs, as well as 53 yards rushing. The offense spread the ball around to 8 different receivers. DHC had himself a nice little game, too! 42 yards rushing and a TD on just 5 carries.

The defense had another good day against the run, allowing just 26 yards on the ground. They took the ball away 5 times and allowed just 3 points in the second half. Despite the loss of Kylie Fitts for the game, the D line still managed to get plenty of pressure on the QB and limit the run.

Matt Gay looked great, again. He's still perfect on the year and hit a long of 56 yards tonight. Could Utah add a Groza award to their trophy case this year?

The other thing I loved was how many different players got in the game. Also, not nearly as many penalties tonight was a very good thing.

The Bad

Turnovers. Utah gave the ball away 3 times, and left points off the board, again. SJSU was able to put more points on the board than they probably should have due to Utah not being able to hold on to the ball.

The running game needs to improve as well. Averaging only 4 yards per carry against a bad run defense is not good enough.

Defensively, the secondary gave up too many long plays and looked like they were sleepwalking at times. Chase Hansen's absence was noticed, and although Marquise Blair did a nice job in run defense, he got picked on a little bit in the passing game.

Overall, I'd give the Utes a B+. It's hard to complain too much about a 38 point win, but there are still plenty things that need to be improved between now and the Arizona game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News