ADVERTISEMENT

Utah @ Cal Predictions

MSaltas

All-American Poster
Aug 31, 2016
Something has got to give, folks. Cal is scoring 45.5 points per game, but giving up 42.5 to its opponents. In Utah's 4 games, they've scored 27.2 for and are averaging 15.8 against. If the game turns into a slug fest with both teams trading touchdowns, Cal wins 9 times out of 10. In both of Cal's wins, they've scored more than 50 points. While I don't see Utah giving up 50 points to California (or any team, for that matter), I also don't see them scoring 42+ points against Cal. The game plan, in my opinion, will be similar to the USC-- run the ball and eat up clock and pass when you get near the red zone and need a score. Cal has given up 13 rushing touchdowns on the season and 263 yards (!) on the ground per game. If this isn't the first game of the season a single Utah running back has a 100+ yard game, I don't see a game on the rest of the schedule where they would.

Davis Webb and Chad Hansen are statistically the best duo in the Pac-12 (more on that breakdown in my Key Matchup), but are they more frightening than USC's Sam Darnold throwing to electric receivers Juju Smith-Schuster or Darreus Rogers? Darnold had all day to throw against Utah, but will Webb have that same luxury with a lesser offensive line protecting him? With Utah wanting to establish the run game, will Webb even have the ball in his hands enough to beat Utah with his arm? I said it before the USC game and I'll say it again in this matchup: if Utah wins the time of possession, they win this game.

Don't forget that we have a quarterback, too. Troy Williams started sluggish, as was expected, but his confidence must be through the roof after that USC game. He's a gamer, and as we saw in the first quarter of the USC game, he can make plays with his legs. Now it's time to show he can come out with the same level of confidence and accuracy on the road against Cal.

Key Stats Predictions

Offense
Troy Williams: 300 yards (first 300+ yard game of career), 2 TDs, 1 INT
Zack Moss: 130 yards, 2 TDs
Shyne: 70 yards, 1 TD
McCormick: 40 yards
Tim Patrick: 120 yards, 1 TD
Raelon Singleton: 60 yards
Butler-Byrd: 80 yards, 1 TD
Rest of WR/TE: 40 yards

Defense
2 INT (really, really wanted to say 5)
+2 TO margin
4 sacks

Final Score
Utah 35-24 California
(5-0) (2-3)

It wouldn't be the end of the world for Utah to lose to Cal. If they are going to lose, they want it to be against North division teams. But Utah has proven time and time again that a stout defense with the ability to run the ball will win games. If teams like Hawai'i, SDSU and Arizona State can put up huge offensive numbers against Cal, I have to believe Utah will be able to put up some nice numbers as well.

What do you think? Can Utah pull off the win? What are your game predictions/hopes?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News