ADVERTISEMENT

USC Game Predictions

MSaltas

All-American Poster
Aug 31, 2016
Man, this is a tough game to gauge. Will Utah be able to run the ball if the passing game stalls? Will the weather affect the play of both teams? What Trojan team will we see, the unmotivated USC or the one that knows that their season hinges on this game? I expect somewhere in the middle. If Utah is able to score a touchdown early on a long, run-heavy drive, it'll totally demoralize the Trojans. Also, how well will Sam Darnold, a redshirt freshman, play in his first start? He's seen time this year, but there will assuredly be pregame jitters for a 19 year old going up against the Utes who collected 10 sacks last game. Without further ado, here are my game predictions and key stats:

Offense
Troy Williams: 150 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT
Zack Moss: 80 yards, 1 TD
Troy McCormick: 60 yards, 1 TD
Armand Shyne: 30 yards
Tim Patrick: 60 yards
CBB: 40 yards, 1 TD
Singleton/Fulks/Simpkins: 50 yards

The key will be for the Utes on offense is to get the run game going. With such great DB's that USC has, look for the Utes to pound the rock on the ground, and take some shots with Patrick and Butler-Byrd throughout the game. The Trojans are below-average (near 100th nationally) in containing the run. I like the combo of Moss, McCormick and Shyne with Moss as the primary back.

Defense
4 sacks
2 INT
230 passing yards given up, 2 TD
80 yards rushing given up

The key for the Utah defense will be to rattle Sam Darnold early. Throw in some 3rd down blitzes, make him hurry his throws, etc. What can't happen is for Darnold to scramble. With his sheer size, I can see him trying to exploit the defensive end's ability to contain the QB in the pocket by scrambling for some yardage, especially if it's a wet and cold night like the forecast says. If the defense can contain Darnold and the athletic receivers from making big plays, then Utah will have a decent chance.

Special Teams

Utah HAS to contain Adoree Jackson, USC's electric return man. Punt and kick away from him and don't even let him return anything. Wishnowsky's ability to flip the field will be key in this game.

Utah 24-20 USC

Reactions: kscott_2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News