ADVERTISEMENT

USC fan here to discuss Norm Chow. First to declare that I admire

eftzoons-

All-American Poster
Sep 20, 2010
this coach as a brilliant past master at what his specialty is and also as an enormously warm human. I was honored to have the chance to speak with him a few times in his first two seasons at USC. I almost always wish him well. Of course his stint at UCLA did not set well with me in so far as rooting for his continued success, and Newheisel's meddling in the O doomed that deal from day one.

But I see down below a thread asking why Norm was never a head coach. I have said over and over again about him that it would be like making Picasso the head administrator at some art school, if you get my meaning. Norm is no such juggler of multiple responsibilities -- he is an ARTIST. Let him alone to do his thing and you will be happy. That makes me fear what Utah could be on O down the line.

But what I would like to ask in this post is whether there is a concensus that he is indeed being let alone to run the O and to CALL THE PLAYS, because when USC stopped letting him do this, they stopped winning NC's. Pete Carroll's worst mistake of his life was in edging Chow away from this, Chow's natural place.

Chow is also fabulously versityle. He won't force stuff. He will take what he is offered by any D. Can anyone on this board tell me, however, if Norm has given out just what his essential orientation on O will be with the Utes, at least for this, his first year.

In any case, NEVER DOUBT you have a genius for an OC, who coached in three years at USC TWO HESIMAN QB's, when in all the years prior to this, USC never even had a a single Heisman CONTENDER at QB, and precious few AA's. Proof of the pudding is in the eating. Pete Carroll did not wish to share the glory with such a giant. Fight on. Hope we can give you guys a good game when you come to Coliseum early this year.

I have no inside source on this, but I believe Coach Chow was brought in to RUN the offense. Coach Whittingham is not a meddler. Also Coach Whitt has a ton of respect for Norm as a Coach and a man. Whit was at byU while Norm was coaching. Whits dad Fred also coached at byU with Norm.

I think Whit knows what he has in Norm and IMO would be crazy to not just hand the steering wheel over to Chow and let him do his thing.

Our Coach is a former D coordinator. He will 100% delegate the O to Norm and will leave him alone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT