ADVERTISEMENT

Turning the page, time to get excited for the last game of 2015

socal521rivals

All-American Poster
Jan 17, 2006
The best post I've read on this fiasco, not surprisingly, and somewhat ironically, came courtesy of VegasUte who, to paraphrase, wrote the best course of action is to be disappointed for 24 hours, and to then move on and get excited for the game.

Has it been 24 hours?

It is disappointing, but it is what it is. Kyle can use it as a teaching moment: take care of business in the fourth quarter against Arizona and you'd have played Stanford in the championship game.

As for the game, I'm not worried about injuries, BYU motiviation or the stadium being all blue, just as long as the damn turf is green.

Dimick and Moko played vs CSU so I fully expect they'll be able to supplement the D line. Really, at this point, I'm quite comfortable with having Fitts over Dimick anyway. For guys like G-Bo and Paul, this is another opportunity to show the NFL what they can do. Frankly, I just feel sorry for BYU's players. G-Bo went medieval on CSU and after being snubbed for conference POY and by the bowl committee . . . I just hope he doesn't kill our scout teamers before the game.

As for offense, my brother's ex-girlfriend's second cousin saw Covey and Scott at 31 flavors and both were hopping around at thought of running free through BYU's slow secondary. OK, so that's a farcical comment, but last Veg Bowl we saw several players emerge from the milk carton (Del Mac, Troy McCormick, Jason Thompson) and make explosive plays. It's not unreasonable to expect something similar this time around. I think HardRod will devise an interesting game plan.

As for BYU...if the shoe were on the other foot, and Utah coaches were leaving, there would be a hue and cry over the potential for distraction and apathy. Yet, I've hardly heard that mentioned here. Instead, I think what most are concerned with is not BYU player motiviation, but fan motivation and the fear that if Utah loses, Utes in Utah will never hear the end of it. Remember, two things: 1) players play, fans watch; and 2) the rivalry is a bigger deal for fans than it is the players. For the Utah players, it's evident that they're somewhat disappointed, but we know they're a salty bunch and Kyle will use the disappointment as motivation.

The stadium may have more BYU fans than Ute fans, but the Utes' road record was solid. Playing on the road has not been a problem; matchups and poor execution have been. We know one thing: Kyle will get this team ready to play.

While I'd much rather have a Big Ten opponent in San Diego, this is what it is: another opportunity to watch a really gritty, hard-nosed Utah football team exact some revenge upon the college football establishment at BYU's expense.

Go Utes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News