ADVERTISEMENT

"They were who we thought they were!" Yet are we?

Cal Beck

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2017
Good Morning Ute and rain delay fans,

The better team won, yet maybe by not as much as we thought. Blew The spread out of the lake, and showed SOME of why people are talking about playoffs. (Playoffs? You're talking about Playoffs?!?!?"

Moving forward, intellectually, as I will grin for another year internally, did we see what we needed to see? For me, it was there but wasn't maintained, yet it could have been done out of necessity.

1. Moss had 29 carries? I wanted more committee this early in the year, but I understand you feed the horse to get work done. Especially, the second half, as if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Every single back averaged over 3 yards; I like that! Huntley with only 8, I LOVE that! We definitely won the explosive battle here.

2. We hold them to under 100 rushing. I expected that, but is it selfish and shortsighted to think "too much?" Must be the DB in me.

3. 106 passing for us yet 1 explosive catch (+20 yards)...I'll blame Moss, so I can sleep better.

4. 1 sack...we need to turn this up for Pac 12, hell, just in general. I know their OC knows us very well, and can scheme around our strong front, but only so much. Gotta get home as if we hurry a very mobile QB (I'm not counting his lucky scurry with 3 missed tackles and lost D end containment.)

5. BUT...300 yards surrendered, bend don't break. We played tough when we needed it, in the first half especially, and on the road. Not even the rain could wash away their fear of the endzone.

6. Turnovers...we take them, like a birthright. Which streak is more fun to brag about? 9 straight or that our Defense is a better bet to score than their offense? Okay, I embellish a little, but what a fun thing to jab them over for the next year.

7. Whitt at half: "I want more possession!". DONE! 13 pass attempts total? Refer back to #1.

They look ready, but took time to find a groove, which is a curse the past couple of years. We need to carry momentum from one week to the next. Hard, but doable, and necessary when you have a big picture mentality.

Enjoy the win, and sound off below. What is your "I knew it" point, that we completed, and the "we need to fix this" point moving forward.

GO UTES!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News