ADVERTISEMENT

The preseason is over. Now what?

socal521rivals

All-American Poster
Jan 17, 2006
On the PAC-12 broadcast, color analyst Jeremy Bloom (spelling? -- the little skiier guy who played at CU) said Utah accomplished all it needed to against ISU and was ready for the PAC12 season.

I'm not so sure.

Utah was never really tested in any of the three games. Game flow is what it is, but the offense didn't need to do much (whether by happenstance or design) against the best opponent (TDS). It's a four quarter game and Utah never really needed to play all out in any of its games. That's going to change very soon. It's great to be 3-0 and have nobody out for the year, but I'd feel more confident if Utah had survived at least one real test in the OOC.

Some other concerns (mostly in descending order):
  • OL continuity. Umana is the Center, but is Toala (65) a starting guard? I did see Maile play in the garbage session, so I think that answers the question. Am I missing anyone?
  • Execution in short-yardage situation. Very difficult to assess given the lack of a true test from an opponent and the "vanilla" play calling in obvious run situations.
  • Interior OL is just not good right now. Hopefully Umana's return cleans up a lot of issues.
  • Edge contain in the run game is spotty. The center is stout (Penisini is just a beast and a healthy Fotu makes that tandem ridiculous).
  • Injuries: mentioned Umana, but didn't see Tupai play today. JB23 was in street clothes. I'll assume it was precautionary.
  • Placekicker: consistency? Range? Clutch? This might be too low, but if you can't get into FG range because of the OL, or if you're good enough to eschew FGs, then . . . why not?
  • No Bam. Damn NCAA.
  • Bronson Boyd tackles (can you call it that?) like a WR
  • Fred Whittingham is really starting to look like Kyle. (yes, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for "concerns")
  • The backup QB, whomever it is, didn't get to run the "real offense" in a game.
Bright spots;reasons for optimism (not necessarily in descending order, but close to it):
  • Kedon Slovis really is a mere mortal. I was buying the "hype" last weekend but it turns out that Stanford really, really sucks. They poo poo. Now, the young man is talented, and he's going to be great for USC, but I don't think he's the next Sam Darnold. Not yet anyway.
  • I don't think Utah will use BYU's blueprint, but one's out there for how to beat Graham Harrell's offense. You USC apologists can say that USC was looking ahead...mmm, hmmm, it still counts as a loss. Losing while looking ahead is really more damning that losing when you allegedly give a poo poo.
  • Hallandale 3: all healthy and firing on all cylinders.
  • Receiving corp appears healthy and deep.
  • Outside of LB, this defense is as deep as any I can remember. There are a poo-poo ton of dudes on the DL. I like the corners and nickle. Good to see Huber and Davis get some time.
  • Lloyd is capable and ready for his role.
  • Speed. This team is fast.
  • Degree of difficulty has been low, but it appears the WRs have actually learned to block in the screen game.
  • The helmet worn against ISU was a thing of beauty. Maybe not as artistic as the hand painted hawk wings, but I loved the number on one side and outline of the state with interlocking Us on the other. More of that, please.
  • The uniforms this year: best year for uniforms ...ever...I think. Have not seen anything i didn't like.

USC will be a real test. I expect a better game from them than they played against BYU. Slovis won't throw three picks. But I feel better about Utah's chances right now than I did last week. I am cautiously optimistic Utah gets the first (?) win at the Coliseum.

If Utah stays healthy -- most importantly #1 and #2 on offense -- I think this team can go 9-1 in the PAC-12 this year. Running the table's too optimistic. The interior OL has to get better and the linebackers and safeties need to get better and deeper, but there's a lot of depth on this team. The place kicker is still a wildcard, but it doesn't appear to be the fiasco that we saw down in Provo. Knock on wood (if you're with me), but I think they can smell the Roses...with some good breaks and a lot of health.

Now it's your turn. Where am I wrong? What have I missed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News