ADVERTISEMENT

"Stay Home?" or "Go to Utah?"

LiquidUte

Sophomore Poster
Jan 20, 2017
I posted this elsewhere but feel strongly enough about it to repost.

With all the conversation about keeping our top local talent home, I wonder about the effectiveness of the #hometownhero campaign and how marketing would think of the language we use when we ask guys to "stay home."

To me, asking someone to "stay home" inherently sounds limiting, like someone is being held back, or not reaching out or taking a risk. Or you're grounded.

I think many 18 year olds about to head to college don't want to be thought of as "staying home."

Better language is "Come to Utah" or "Go to the U."

Even though I grew up in SLC, my world was completely different once I moved to campus and started full time classes. Although It was 15 minutes from my parents house, it felt new and different and I was way more independant than ever before.

I think it would be helpful if the pitch to in-state kids took this angle just like with out of staters. "Come to Utah." This is a destination and a new chapter where you'll meet lots of new people, be independent, AND your family can come to 7 games a year.

I think even the fanbase changing their language on this would be helpful. Think about that when you speak or write about going to the University of Utah. Come to Utah. There's an entirely different view, different community, and a different vibe up here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News