ADVERTISEMENT

RPO- Can Utah run it effectively?

uteanooga

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2009
Here are my concerns over our RPO:

1. Moss is much better than Huntley at running the ball. Thus every time the D forces Huntley to chose the keeper is a win for the D and a loss for our offense.

2. As Tube stated, Huntley's game is somewhat lackluster when you take away his running. It appears that the coaches are trying to maximize Huntley's impact by having him run- but in doing so they take touches away from Moss and worsen our rushing attack.

3. Two years in O line seems to still be clueless on how to work within the RPO. I have no idea whether this is just a long learning curve, or if the personal are not optimized for the RPO. Clearly it has not been working very well.

4. We don't seem to be fooling anyone. We are running so many different formations, it reminds me of BJ's "multiples" offense- which got BJ immediately demoted. It seems that the different formations are creating more uncertainty for our O line and QB's decision making than it is for the D.

I don't have the chops to know how to fix all of this but it seems to me that Taylor needs to simplify.

If all of his trickery only fools his own O line and not the defense then perhaps he should stop being so darned tricky.

Figure out what the O line is good at and do a lot of this please.

Run formations that cater to the O line yet allow either a pass or a run (by Moss) without it being obvious which is coming.

Mix in a few QB keepers and give Huntley the green light to scramble when he sees an opening. But simplify Huntley's decision making.

Get the baseball coaches down and teach Huntley to slide. Good grief he is going to break an ankle. His "sliding" is the most herky-jerky spookfest I have ever seen from a legitimate athlete.

What does everyone think? Can Utah sort out an effective RPO? Would they be better off moving away from the RPO this late in the game?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News