ADVERTISEMENT

Question for James about the run defense

socal521rivals

All-American Poster
Jan 17, 2006
Regarding your Arizona look-back / forward, you confirmed what I've thought all along and have posted from time to time: Utah has not been able to figure out the Rich Rod offense. I guess on a positive note is the relative improvement in surrendering less than 300 yards for the first time to AzCats.

You also touched on the fact that Utah had been struggling against the run going into the Arizona game.

Statistically, this is born out by surrendering 239 (5.5 ypc) to ASU, 269 (5.38) to Oregon, 190 (5.0) to Stanford and then 298 (6.3) to Arizona. Considering Stanford's style of play, and that Utah won, those numbers are actually not as bad as they appear on paper.

However, prior to this, they played well against USC 100 (2.7), Oregon State 118 (2.5) and UCLA 137 (2.74), although I think that sack yardage boosted the numbers in the Oregon State and UCLA games.

In your film study for the look-back / forward series, have you formulated any opinions for the struggles?

Gionni Paul did not play in the Arizona game. Interestingly enough, the games Paul missed were the ones Jason Whittingham played in. Was LB depth an issue? Was it playing youngsters (Lotulelei and Mokofisi) at NG/DT? Too many guys in the secondary who were undersized for run support?

Perhaps Sitake was just overrated and we can look forward to a new world order under Coach Pease? :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News