ADVERTISEMENT

PREGAME THOUGHTS: U.tes T.ake A.t H.ome

Cal Beck

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2017
Look, we all know, and have no doubt whatsoever, who will come out on top tomorrow. Dakota will take their cool millions, and go back up north. The question is... what will we get out of tomorrow? Everyone has questions, as it's the nature of this time of year. But, what is most important to see tomorrow, before we go down south, and play Provo State Tech?

I'll pitch in my two cents. Okay, more like a dollar.

Let me premise this "payday" by stating that we will see a vanilla game plan. Kyle knows who's up next, and he won't give them much for film. So, let's not get upset and call for his head when the starters are pulled, and those fighting for travel spots and/or redshirt options take the field for reps. This opportunity will allow us to see how deep our roster goes, and who is ready to step up when we need the next man. The season is a marathon, not a sprint.

0.10 = I want to see blanket coverage, by our DB's. Will their speed be a threat? I assume not. We need to be fast and cover EVERYTHING. Minimal mental errors are the key, so we can spit and polish, and not train, later in the year. I am excited to see Blackmon, Hughes, and Ballard get some stage time. We are all wondering about Hansen, but we may not get that answer tomorrow. The Hawks love to throw the ball, which I hope is to our benefit. We have a lot of green inexperienced kids back there, but they need to grow up quick.

0.50 = Our LB's need to show their speed. The easiest mismatch to force is an LB on a back, and we need to be comfortable in that situation. This is just a question, not at all what I'm expecting.

0.05 = Are will still Sack Lake City? Tomorrow is a great chance to reinforce our slogan. I expect a lot of quick drops from them, not allowing much pressure, but they can't do it all night. Have to get home when the chance arises. Dominate the gaps up front.

0.25 = Offense. We have had all year to adjust after going out and getting a hand picked selection, from Kyle. It's time for consistency, speed, and to keep the defense off the field. More importantly, not put them in positions with their backs against the wall. "We need a turnover" was an abused statement last year. Huntley will do his thing, and Williams will get to do his. Kyle has a tendency to keep teams guessing by having them split preparation time for two QB's, which can be maddening for D Coordinators. Could we see this trend tomorrow? I would bet so. Carrington adds a new, experienced pleasant surprise to get us downfield, and open up lanes (I miss you Covey).

0.10 = Special teams = Outside of the kickers (I hope we don't see much of Wishnowsky, obviously) our treat will be seeing more vanilla Sp. team efforts. No blocks will be called, tricks will be nonexistent, so solid straight up play will be where a lot of these kids earn their travel spots.

The Hawks have multiple national titles (11-15) but have never played a ranked FBS school. They are conference champs, picked to repeat, so they do have a lot of pride to channel. They are on the road in what many coaches call the toughest place to travel to. RES. They return a lot of starters as well.
Let's give them the welcome we need to see. Not much hospitality.

That's my dollar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News