ADVERTISEMENT

POSTGAME THOUGHTS: UTAH 2-0 and Thoughts on that TEAM DOWN SOUTH GAME!

Anthony White

Gold Member
Apr 29, 2017
#1. WE WON! Be happy! Don't be that type of person that complains about the free meal.

#2. The Spearing call - was 100% correct

Spearing or spear tackling is a method of tackling in American football in which a player uses their body as a spear (head out, arms by their side), whether it be in attack or defence. It is considered legal as long as players do not make initial contact with their head. Illegal use of a spear in gridiron results in either a 15-yard penalty if the offensive player commits the foul or an automatic first down if it is the defensive player.

Case Closed. I mean, Mangum's helmet came off!

#3. TRUST - 2 Sides of TRUST...

GOOD TRUST: I liked about the trust showed, Coach Whitt, was swayed the last 4th down attempt to go for it, he said as much in the post game interview. i can imagine the entire OL, QB and RBs promising coach they would get the yard! They DIDN'T as we all know. Although we didn't get the first and it scared all of us at the end of the game - I love the confidence and trust he displayed by the team being able to sway Coach Whitt - shows all of us he is open to new things.

BAD TRUST: We had multiple short yardage situations ion which we ran Fly Option plays, where the QB can hand it off o the RB or WR coming across or the QB can take it up the middle for a short run. On most of the short yardage situations, Huntley decided to hand it off to a RB going East and West instead of keeping it and going North and South. I have to think that the inexperience on our OL played into this.

#4. Honestly it hurts me to see a good coach like Sitake wearing blue, just standing on the sidelines. Obviously frustrated but unable to do much. That Team and School Down South really has let their program go, no real investment. Sad. On the other hand I love seeing our Red and all the Ute Faithful - I can clearly see a difference on the Utah sidelines and the level of trust with the staff. Especially with our new OC Taylor - No Yelling, No Screaming - just understanding. One thing I haven't seen on the sidelines is Williams, r even the mention of a hook coming when things get slow.

#5. WOW we have some athletes! Our DBs look Tall - didn't look like we really missed a beat with 3 different MLBs in the game after Tauteoli was ejected. You can clearly see the different in athleticism. But with that Said the PAC 12 is coming. Scary to think but USC, UCLA, and all the others are looking good. Should be a Fun Year!

#5.5 Did you guys See this?! HAHAHA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News