ADVERTISEMENT

Position Grades: Utah @ BYU

MSaltas

All-American Poster
Aug 31, 2016
My apologies for getting these out so late, I've been sick as a dog this weekend and have been recovering from that. Here's my overdue position grades for the Utah @ BYU game, feel free to chime in below:

Offense

QB: A-
Huntley's 300 yard passing performance was Utah's first since Travis Wilson threw for over 300 in 2014 and is just Utah's 5th game superseding 300 yards since joining the Pac-12. Combine that with his 75% completion (27/36) and another 89 yards on the ground, and the gunslinger had himself a game. The only knock I have on his performance was taking too many carries away from Zack Moss on the RPO, as well as Utah being only 3-14 on 3rd down. Oh, and the first called hold on a quarterback I've ever seen in my life.

RB: D
Give credit where credit is due, and BYU's front 7 made it a mission to stop Utah from running all over them like they let Guice from LSU do the week prior. But boy, Moss and McCormick had tough nights. Granted, Huntley stole the show (and carries), but the two backs combined for just 33 yards on 15 carries and a lost fumble. From a running standpoint, Utah relied (perhaps too) heavily on Huntley, but Moss and McCormick need to hit holes harder rather than running east to west.

OL: B
Lo Falemaka started the game out hiking the football at Huntley's ankles multiple times, but it was later stated by Huntley in the postgame that it was due to Lo's hand being swollen. Besides that, the line did a lot better in terms of pass protection (though it's hard to gauge at times because Huntley scrambles and likes to throw on the run).

WR: B+
Seems like the penalties on the receivers are becoming a bit of a trend. To be fair, the pick play called on Wilson that got Carrington's TD called back was horrible. Still, the receivers need to clean up the penalties and holds and know when to release. They did a lot of good in this game, though: Carrington had a (quiet) 129 yard night, Wilson had a career high of 89 and Nacua added 52 yards. Huntley spread the love more this week with 7 wideouts getting receptions and four of them with 5 or more, and I can't recall a single blatant dropped ball. The penalties needs immediate attention, but I'm liking this group a lot so far.

Defense

Front 7: A
It was the Lowell Lotulelei and Filipo Mokofisi show on the d line Saturday night: the seniors ate up multiple blockers and allowed Utah's linebackers to plug up any running lane. Mokofisi also had an interception that quite literally fell into his lap due to a swatted ball by his partner in crime, Lowell.
The linebackers were up to snuff, as well. Luafatasaga had himself 7 tackles (6 solo) and Cody Barton added 2 solo tackles and a sack. Combined, the front 7 gave up just 63 yards on the ground. BYU didn't exactly have an All-American out there carrying the football, but 63 yards is impressive nonetheless.

Secondary: A
Pick your poison, Tanner Mangum: Boobie Hobbs and Jaylon Johnson came down with interceptions, Casey Hughes had a sack, and Chase Hansen tore it up with 8 tackles (5 solo) and 2 QB hurries. Hughes had big play after big play with multiple PBU's, and Johnson was lights out yet again. The secondary kept Mangum to 170 yards in the air and just over 50% completion. So far, I'm loving the trio of Blackmon, Hughes and Johnson.

Special Teams

Field Goal: A++++
Matt Gay saves the day. The former UVU soccer player came through yet again in Utah County, this time with 4 field goals for the Utes. He's been immaculate so far, and his leg was the difference for Utah in their victory.

Punting: A
What can't Mitch Wishnowsky do? Not only did he have 5 punts for 254 yards (50.8 average), but he used his 4.5 40 speed to chase down Jonah Trinnamen on a touchdown-saving tackle. Maybe Whittingham can give the Aussie a look at linebacker or safety??

Returns: C
You know the return game is rough when you breathe a sigh of relief for a touchback or a fair catch. The combination of Young, Fulks and Hobbs just can't seem to get it together. If a "C" grade is average, the returners deserve less, but a lack of a return game has been standard for the Utes in 2017 so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News