Will USC hire Urban Meyer?

• YES

Votes: 35 35.4%
  • NO

Votes: 64 64.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remember that USC's new AD is the same guy who made three really bad football HC hires at Colorado before he was forced out. The HC's he hired were Dan Hawkins (16-33 record), Jon Embree (4-21) and Mike MacIntyre (20-29). Hopefully he has the same kind of track record at USC.

I believe USC is at a crossroads with Helton. He is not winning, and has been losing with a QB that has performed at least as well as the person he replaced. They have just renewed the venerable Coliseum. The Alums are getting nervous about Helton's record. The biggest problem they have is no RB who can match their QB, but that is another issue. That poses the question: How far will USC go to bring back the dynasty resurrected by Pete Carroll? They have a female President who has failed in hiring an AD due to her reticence to give up participation in the hiring of a HC. Muscle Alums are pushing for Urban. IMO, they will eventually win...they will not chance hiring another loser. Urban is definitely not a loser except perhaps in a very moral world. So, IMO, Urban will eventually be hired there. This will be good for the PAC 12; not so good for those in the South Division...

Last edited:
I think they would but won't be able to. Franklin is their best option now. Fisher or Del Rio would be great for them.

Doubt it. Franklin is PA born and raised, was QB for E Stroudsburg. He's living the dream. Money wise, USC would have to break the bank to offer him enough to overcome the difference in the cost of living and taxes to make it worth his while. It is not expensive to live in State College...

I wonder if they wished they'd have hung on to Orgeron.

Orgeron is another who is living the dream. At USC he was a square peg in a round hole. At LSU he is the square peg in the square hole.

I share OldSCFan’s perspective (very nice summary). Ultimately, the big money donors will prevail. Urban is the perfect candidate to return them to greatness. Side note: I hate the thought that this is the most likely outcome.

Reactions: JWunderli1
If the AD was making the decision on his own, Urban would be the next HC. But I think the President still has some juice from being brand new (money can't force her out yet) and she very clearly wants someone cleaner than Urban. I'd expect a former NFL coach, so Del Rio wouldn't be a surprise, or a successful mid-level P5 coach like PJ Fleck (Minn), Dave Clawson (Wake), Matt Campbell (IA ST), Chris Klieman (KS ST), etc. Maybe they risk Harsin (Boise), but that's where I expect them to look. NFL guys currently on break, mid-level P5 guys who could use a pay/prestige bump, or maybe superstar G5 guys like Harsin (they're probably still pissed they didn't get Petersen).

I don't see Urban taking the Wyoming job. :rolleyes: Seriously though, it would be really interesting to see how he would do in the NFL. I could be wrong, but I'm not so sure his style would fly with NFL players.

The Pats in the Aaron Hernandez days ran an NFL version of Urban's offense. The Cowboys also have Zeke (Urban player) and Dak (Mullen guy, so not far from the tree) which is why I think he might actually take the job.

I think between his baggage from Ohio State, the mess (and at times scandals) that has been USC athletics, a new female President and Urban's health, I see USC looking for someone who, if successful, can stick around for the long term like Whitt has at Utah.

No matter what job Urban takes, I predict it will not be for a long period of time. A couple years at most. He has enormous drive and brain cysts that cause severe headaches and coaching is a super demanding job. That's a really bad combination. I think his past coaching stints suggest he's on shaky ground trying to coach at the highest levels and manage his symptoms for more than a couple years.

Here's an article for those who may want to read more.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...achnoid-cyst-is-and-how-its-typically-treated

I believe USC is at a crossroads with Helton. He is not winning, and has been losing with a QB that has performed at least as well as the person he replaced. They have just renewed the venerable Coliseum. The Alums are getting nervous about Helton's record. The biggest problem they have is no RB who can match their QB, but that is another issue. That poses the question: How far will USC go to bring back the dynasty resurrected by Pete Carroll? They have a female President who has failed in hiring an AD due to her reticence to give up participation in the hiring of a HC. Muscle Alums are pushing for Urban. IMO, they will eventually win...they will not chance hiring another loser. Urban is definitely not a loser except perhaps in a very moral world. So, IMO, Urban will eventually be hired there. This will be good for the PAC 12; not so good for those in the South Division...
What does the president being female have to do with anything? Lots of universities have female presidents.

What does the president being female have to do with anything? Lots of universities have female presidents.

I have access to a lot of information concerning USC, from their football sites, to friends who went there, and attended there for a while...she is a feminist who does not like the fact that Urban concealed from tOSU, it's AD and President, the fact that one of his coaches was a wife beater. She has interviewed several candidates for their AD position, having told them all up to the last one, that she wanted to participate in the AD selection process, on which basis those she interviewed, ultimately declined the position. Perhaps there are other reasons for not wanting him there, but this is the most obvious. You can do you own research if you want, but this is the answer to your question.

Last edited:
I have access to a lot off information concerning USC, from their football sites, to friends who went there, and attended there for a while...she is a feminist who does not like the fact that Urban concealed from tOSU, it's AD and President, the fact that one of his coaches was a wife beater. She has interviewed several candidates for their AD position, having told them all up to the last one, that she wanted to participate in the AD selection process, on which basis those she interviewed, ultimately declined the position. Perhaps there are other reasons for not wanting him there, but this is the most obvious. You can do you own research if you want, but this is the answer to your question.
Well then write it that way, you said it as if it was just bad that she was a female. Everything else you said in this post sounds better than the way you wrote it in the above post.

I may be overreacting but you’re post before sounded anti-female so I questioned it.

Well then write it that way, you said it as if it was just bad that she was a female. Everything else you said in this post sounds better than the way you wrote it in the above post.

I may be overreacting but you’re post before sounded anti-female so I questioned it.
I didn't take it that way because in another thread a few weeks ago, this same reason was already discussed with regards to why the new USC president wouldn't want him.

”They have a female president who has failed...“ that is the part that bugs.

Just remember that USC's new AD is the same guy who made three really bad football HC hires at Colorado before he was forced out. The HC's he hired were Dan Hawkins (16-33 record), Jon Embree (4-21) and Mike MacIntyre (20-29). Hopefully he has the same kind of track record at USC.

Two of those hires were good on paper hires, tho.

Dan Hawkins going to Colorado, after the 2005 season, was seen as a coup. I don't think anyone could've imagined the flame out he had there. I know we like to point at Houston Nutt and Dirk Koetter as evidence Boise success didn't translate with other programs, but it's not like Nutt and Koetter failed at their stops. Koetter lasted six seasons with the Sun Devils and Nutt 10 seasons with Arkansas.

I can't really fault him for hiring Hawkins. Embree was a bad hire from the start and I don't know what they were thinking with that one. MacIntyre was a pretty good hire, IMO, or I thought, anyway. Dude won 10 games at San Jose State.

I think Colorado is just in a difficult spot regardless. After the whole Barnett issue, there was a significant push to de-emphasize football. They're still trying to recover.

But you're right. He struck out on three-straight football hires - tho, he did well for their basketball program and did a very good job at Cincinnati. So.

Reactions: Malamute007
Two of those hires were good on paper hires, tho.

Dan Hawkins going to Colorado, after the 2005 season, was seen as a coup. I don't think anyone could've imagined the flame out he had there. I know we like to point at Houston Nutt and Dirk Koetter as evidence Boise success didn't translate with other programs, but it's not like Nutt and Koetter failed at their stops. Koetter lasted six seasons with the Sun Devils and Nutt 10 seasons with Arkansas.

I can't really fault him for hiring Hawkins. Embree was a bad hire from the start and I don't know what they were thinking with that one. MacIntyre was a pretty good hire, IMO, or I thought, anyway. Dude won 10 games at San Jose State.

I think Colorado is just in a difficult spot regardless. After the whole Barnett issue, there was a significant push to de-emphasize football. They're still trying to recover.

But you're right. He struck out on three-straight football hires - tho, he did well for their basketball program and did a very good job at Cincinnati. So.
I lived in boulder county during all of those coaches tenures. Two reasons they hired Embry, he's a buff first and foremost......the second was a PC move.

I agree on Macintyre, he was the best of Bohn's three hires and I honestly felt he deserved another year.

The board of regents and powers that be have definitely tried to downplay the importance of football since Barnett but they have a strong fanbase there that has been let down time and time again. One of my good friends is a big supporter of CU athletics and I know he's been frustrated ever since Barnett left. I know he liked Mike Bohn but I don't think he always agreed with the decisions that were made.

Reactions: NLVUte

Relax, Francis.

Reactions: NLVUte and Z21-Ute
You did the standard media clip of a quote. You stopped at failed. That takes the quote completely out of context.

You did the standard media clip of a quote. You stopped at failed. That takes the quote completely out of context.
I think BBUte has a valid point regardless of the rest of the comment ... including the use of female as a descriptor in a comment regarding the choices or processes of a university president feels like it may be revealing a gender bias within the person making the comment rather than being relevant to the real story. Just my .02

Reactions: mundtypoo2
In this case I will share with you my inside information, my landlords for my business run the sc band and one is very connected to the athletic department, Rex Butterfield. And he tells me the new president and many staff involved because of the metoo movement will not allow the hiring of Urban Myer. SC just hired an AD with no SC connections and they are working on resetting the culture there because of all the Scandals. Just think what hiring Urban would do for the scandal image...not going to happen.

Sorry emptyJ. But BBUte STOPPED his take at a critical juncture. He stopped it at FAILED. That immediately takes the whole statement out of context. Maybe he should have said the new avowed FEMINIST president failed to hire a new AD due to her reticence, etc... THAT would have garnered even more negative impact in the current PC environment.

The female portion of the issue has been brought up in plenty of news media outside of OldSCfan's comments here. Therefore, it is an applicable comment. If mainstream media is allowed to use it, why all of a sudden is it derogatory here.

I actually quoted the entire statement above so I did not take it out of context. I was pointing out the sentence that bothered me and abbreviating it.

If you need me to quote and highlight to see what bothered me, I will wait until I'm not on my phone to post.

Sorry BBUte, but this is EXACTLY what you posted. You should post the complete sentence, not stop at failed. That is what the main stream media (regardless of outlet) consistently does to create controversy.

They have a female president who has failed...“ that is the part that bugs.

I wonder if they wished they'd have hung on to Orgeron.

Some there wanted Orgeron, but others did not like his cajon personna...thought it was not USC dignified; kinda like not being "presidential," more form over substance. More wished they had now that he is successful.

Reactions: Ki-Yi UTE

You are killing the messenger...I wrote it the way it has been reported on USC football sites, by USC alums/grads/fans and USC friends who are much closer to the picture than you or I. So, chill; don't be so sensitive...don't look for political controversy where there is none, boy.

Last edited:
Sorry BBUte, but this is EXACTLY what you posted. You should post the complete sentence, not stop at failed. That is what the main stream media (regardless of outlet) consistently does to create controversy.

They have a female president who has failed...“ that is the part that bugs.
Go up and see my original comment on it. Posted at 7:05 pm where I quote his entire post. Not sure why you feel the need to be D!CK about this as it never involved you.

You are killing the messenger...I wrote it the way it has been reported on USC football sites, by USC alums/grads/fans and USC friends who are much closer to the picture than you or I. So, chill; don't be so sensitive...don't look for political controversy where there is none, boy.
One don't call me boy, you don't know me. I saw something I felt was an insensitive remark based on the way it was worded.It could have been said that the USC President had failed but you put FEMALE PRESIDENT.

I could give a shit less about about it at this point, now I pissed because I'm being talked down to. Be very careful calling people boy, you don't know who is on the other side of the avatar.

And its not political at all, I could go back through some other posts and make it political.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT