ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 TV Deal to be around $14.5 mil per team

To bad you wont see any of that money until 2014.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Actually it's 0 in 2011, because they are under the old contract and Utah wasn't considered. We assume we will be able to sell some of our home games to cover our costs during that period since it's essentially excess inventory. Then 50% in 2012 and 75% in 2013 and 100% in 2014. Whatever it's a hella lot more than the 1.2 nil we got from the MWC and we had no buy out to cover from them, unlike Colorado.

And to Gator, we've been damn competitive with a total budget of $25MM per year. That's probably less than your band and cheer leader budget and we still should have been MNC in 2008! We will play you guys home and home any time, would love to see you at 5,500', you'd be hucking a lung by half time.

Originally posted by hanzelka:
Actually it's 0 in 2011, because they are under the old contract and Utah wasn't considered. We assume we will be able to sell some of our home games to cover our costs during that period since it's essentially excess inventory. Then 50% in 2012 and 75% in 2013 and 100% in 2014. Whatever it's a hella lot more than the 1.2 nil we got from the MWC and we had no buy out to cover from them, unlike Colorado.

I didn't know it was 0 in 2011. Regardless, a great investment.

Since we have to work our way up to full membership do you guys think stadium expansion is delayed until then? Or, we expand now knowing the money will arrive?

We still have to get firm commitments from boosters for a portion of the money (this should be a bit easier now), and get approved for a revenue bond. On top of that, we need to bid out and complete construction drawings. The drawings will cost a couple of million dollars. I would guess that once they feel comfortable that the booster money will be in place and that they can make a case to pay off the revenue bond, then they will start spending booster money on the drawings. Exact timing on that is unknown, but I am sure we will hear about donations for the new stadium when they receive them.

I would expect the construction documents to take at least 6-8 months and then they need to go through whatever the permit process is for the university. Then of course there is the bid process followed by construction.

Can they accomplish all of this prior to our first game in the PAC? I would say that it would be very challenging for them to get it done. More than likely in my mind it would be the 2012 season at the earliest.

Thanks for the info Heartless. Sounds like you know a lot about the plans.

I've heard they plan to fill in the South End Zone and build new locker rooms, plus build a Scholarship Box across from the press box. After it's complete we'd be somewhere between 55,000 and 60,000. That's just talk I heard around campus last year. Is that correct?

There are a lot of things in flux at the moment. The original plan was to put suites in the end zone, but I was told that they don't pencil out financially. So I would guess that will be part of a redesign. Also, the stadium was build to be able to structurally support expansion on the east side. My guess is that they would add suites and seats there instead of another scholarship box, but that is only my guess at this point. Either way, expansion would be a good thing and it seems to be on the horizon.

My best guesstimate would be to expand in phases with a new SEZ and then at a later time when it can be justified by ticket sales to expand the east side.

That being said, there might never be a better time to pre-sell suites on the east side than now with the excitement of moving to the PAC. In which case, the east side would be expanded sooner than later.

won't be seeing any in 2011 but still, you'll be getting literally 4-5 times as much as you're getting now within 2 years.

That final contract is going to be far larger than $14.5 million. Reported today that ESPN-ABC is making a strong push and is offering to establish a conf. network similar to Fox's deal with the Big 10. Fox is making the same offer. Further, Comcast, buying NBC, is reported to want to make the Pac the certerfold of its sports broadcasting content. With 3 major competitors, I'll bet the final deal Scott negotiates will be in the 20's and may be the highest in college sports.

You guys think you are getting a lot of crap from BYU supporters now, just wait until you start receiving your checks from the conf.

Anyway, good luck this year and looking forward to playing the Utes in the future.

I agree. With 3 and possibly 4 bidders for the rights, and the fact that it fills the valuable west coast time slot, the numbers have significant potential to be larger than many have estimated earlier.

I think from on the on set it was goig to Utah and Colo to Pac-10. The Pac 16 had a chance but failed, way back couple years the duck fans were wondering if The PAC 10 added teams who would it be, Colo came up alot but thought they wouldn't leave the Big 12. Funny thing is TCU and BYU was talked about and I did see some posts about UTAH. PAC 10 next year with UTAH in Basketball and Football and when Colo comes in TV contracts will be larger than 14 mill and when the Network comes on board kiss SEC as king of money bye bye. Just my thoughts. Welcome to the PAC 10 UTES..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT