ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Sports news, social media, and politics

medute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2012
I want to get this off my chest, so I am going to pen for a bit and hopefully make some sense of my feelings. I feel like I work pretty hard. I get up in the morning around 630, get ready and head off for work. I see patients all day and deal with relatively heavy material. It's not the most stressful job in the world, but it is hard work and it is taxing. I get home from work around 530 pm. I either do homework with the kids or cook dinner. Then I get to either entertain the kids and do baths/nighttime routine or I get to do dishes. It's usually around 9 pm by the time I sit down and start combing through the internet.

I want to read about the Utes. I want to read about recruits. I make a stop at Facebook to see what my friends and their families are up to. I check out Twitter for updates on the Utes, Jazz, and Dodgers and I enjoy getting a good laugh from Conan (great guy to follow on Twitter BTW). It's an escape for me. It's the part of my day where things aren't so heavy.

I follow people on Twitter because they are Ute reporters and analysts. Whether they are liberal or conservative, I honestly couldn't give a crap. If I wanted to follow the news, I would follow news reporters or turn on CNN. If I wanted 10 updates on Donald Trump, there are plenty of places I can go to get that information.

Can you imagine if you went out to eat and your server wanted to talk to you about the social injustices of the world during your entire meal. Or if you went fishing and a guy across the river wanted to give you his thoughts on abortion. Whatever your place of refuge might be, it's nice to simply keep it as a place of refuge. I get that my life is good. I get that I have privileges that others don't. I get that billions of people in this world are worse off in some ways. But I think it's ok to enjoy your life and choose things that are less intense to pass the time. If you have 3,000 followers on Twitter because you are a Ute analyst, then be a Ute analyst. Create a separate Twitter account for your 10 friends that care about your political opinions. If you have 3,000,000 followers, but your primary job is as an ESPN personality, you don't have those followers because of your opinions on Donald Trump.

People aren't telling you to "stick to sports" because they disagree with you (some might be). They come to you for something specific and you are giving them something that they don't want. They are going to voice their displeasure. Keep in mind that the reason you have the job you have and the followers you have is because of your primary title. Please continue to provide that service. And if you still want to be stubborn about it, just imagine if your life was filled with 24/7 heaviness. No break from stress, no peace, no enjoyment. Just work mixed with nonstop debate and politics. You provide the break that many of us are seeking.

Ok, I hope some of that made sense. Had to vent for a minute. Back to quiet browsing on a lovely Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News