ADVERTISEMENT

OT-ish: NFL Draft Thoughts

socal521rivals

All-American Poster
Jan 17, 2006
Just finished reading Mel Kiper's Grade A Mock. This is a 3-round mock of every team with his Mel-ness as GM.

Say what? Mel has Garret Grayson, QB, Colo State, as a 3rd rounder (70 overall) to the Jets. Mel also had a CSU guard going in the third. What surprises me is you consider that CSU had a former 5-star RB recruit and a Biletnikof candidate as well as these two guys on their offense and Utah just dominated them in the Vegas Bowl.

I know we've all read statements from Whittingham that the Utes have upgraded their talent from top to bottom since joining the PAC12. If you need proof, that Vegas Bowl performance is it.

Eric Rowe goes off the board at 40 to the NYGiants. Rowe's stock is really rising. Both Mel and McShay agree that Rowe is among the top 3 safety prospects in the draft and McShay thinks he can play CB. Mel has ASU Safety Demarious Randall going in the 3rd (80th to the Chiefs).

Mel has Nate Orchard to the Cardinals (86th) in the 3rd.

Who gets the bulk of the credit for developing Rowe and Orchard: the Utes coaches who are still Utes, or the Beaver Bunch?

There are a lot of PAC-12 names in this draft, and it certainly seems most are on defense.

Aside from Mariota, the offense names I saw were USC's WR Nelson Algohar (1st), ASU's WR Jaelen Strong (2nd), Stanford's OT Andrus Peat (2nd), UCLA's QB, what's-his-name (Brett Hundley) (3rd to Browns) and Oregon's two OL, Fisher (2nd) and Grassu (3rd, I think).

It all turns on Tennessee, but Leonard Williams could easily go before Mariota. Joining Williams in the first round should be Washington's DT Danny Shelton and probably Oregon's DE Erik Armstead (who I think will be a bust). Other PaC12 defenders are LBs Kikaha from UW, Kendricks from UCLA and Shaq Thompson from UW. At CB you have Marcus Peters from UW (possible 1st), Oregon's Ekpre-Olum and USC's USC's Josh Shaw. Stanford's DE Henry Anderson also made the list. Now throw in the Two Utes and Randall as mentioned. So much for not playing D in the PAC12.

Good call by Booker. This draft is very deep at RB and I didn't see USC's Buck Allen's name in the top 3 rounds.

Mel

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News