ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Don't look now, but we're kicking @$$ in LAX...

psute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Sep 11, 2010
Looks like we'll make the jump to the big time in the sport in pretty good shape to be competitive:

by Jac Coyne | MCLA.us

LA CROSSE, Wis. – I’ve watched Southern Methodist play in the first round of the last two MCLA National Championships powered by Under Armour.

Two years ago, SMU lost 11-3 to a Cal Poly squad that played for a national championship five days later. Last year, the Mustangs fell, 14-11, to a Georgia Tech outfit that advanced to the national semifinals.

The better team won both times, but SMU was in each of those games. They were competitive. There was always a flicker of chance.

I watched the Mustangs lose today to No. 2 Utah and it was a completely different vibe. The competition was at a different level. There never appeared to be a chance. Watch for yourself:

One could argue that maybe this SMU team isn’t the same as those two that won the last two LSA titles. OK, I’ll concede that might be true.

But SMU beat USC comfortably a couple of weeks ago – the same USC that just upset No. 14 US Santa Barbara. They were also in a dogfight with No. 11 South Carolina before losing, 8-3. They lost by two to No. 23 Clemson.

I actually think the Mustangs are pretty good.

But in the blink of an eye on Saturday, SMU was down 6-1 to Utah. At half it was 10-1. Then 17-1 after three before the 24-2 final.

The Mustangs join a growing list of teams left in the Utes’ wake.

Texas was brutalized, 19-5, on Thursday night. It was No. 12 Cal before that, 18-6. Arizona’s 16-5 loss actually looks pretty good.

Cal Poly lost 9-3 in the season opener – a loss that almost seems like a blueprint for success right now.

The MCLA is no stranger to dominant teams. Colorado State, Michigan, UC Santa Barbara and BYU have had runs where they looked unbeatable.

Is Utah’s grand finale in the association going to mirror some of those great runs?

Not to be disrespectful to its upcoming opponents, but the Utah body count could pile up well into April until the traditional Big Three stand as the lone obstacles between the Utes and an undefeated regular season mark.

Is it too soon to start anointing anyone? Could we take a deep dive into the Utes schedule and maybe nuance away their domination right now?

Maybe. There’s probably a lot of MCLA players and teams who'd like to paraphrase Denny Green right now.

https://www.uteslacrosse.com/schedule/2018-schedule/

@utelax, you're our resident expert. Any idea of what conference we're likely to join? ACC needs a 6th to get an autobid. Personal preference is B1G, may be able to support them in person...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News