ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on the Ganther hire…

Alex Markham

All-American Poster
Staff
Nov 16, 2011
I like Q as the Utah RB coach over McDonald. Let me be clear that I like McDonald and think he’ll do well at USC, but Utah got the perfect fit for them and someone who will quickly be known as one of the best RB coaches in the country.

Whittingham has long-coveted Ganther and as I’ve said, McDonald was nearly let go in favor of Ganther a few years ago. Since then, McDonald got MUCH better at recruiting. I’ve stayed before that McDonald almost completely blew the Jordan Wilmore recruitment and Q helped save it as a favor to the program.

Along with Whittingham, Urban thought highly enough of Q to get him on his staff in Jacksonville. That speaks volumes with all the greats that Urban has coached and also coached with.

When he was at Weber State, Ganther somehow convinced guys with G5 offers to play at Weber instead. He coached up FCS All-American Josh Davis and helped the Wildcats become known in the FCS ranks as a dominant rushing offense.

Q comes from the Bay Area, where he’s beloved in the coaching circles out there. Add his time in Florida and those are two talent-rich areas.

He can walk into living room and highlight Utah RB success, the team’s graduation track record and either begin or close things with stating that he’s living proof to everything about the school that he’s touting and he knows how to guide them to where they want to go in life.

It’s a home run hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News