ADVERTISEMENT

My musings on basketball

Ute the Man

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Unlike many, I just can't quit Utah basketball haha.

A very discouraging performance last night at WSU after a couple of games hinted that better things might be on the way. Instead, season-long problems reappeared:
WSU took 65 shots, we only got off 46. That is not a recipe for success. We were -9 in the TO category, -10 in rebounds and -12 in offensive rebounds. So we have problems in the frontcourt and the backcourt.

The guy who has taken the most shots this season (Stefanovich) is shooting 36% from the field and 28% from 3.

Our rotations are a mess. Mahorcic started the game but didn't play in the second half. We're more than half-way through conference play and Craig Smith is still searching for a productive line up. After each head-scratching play you can see him look at his bench and realize that help is not on the way.

So many of our TO's are WTF plays made by experienced guys (yes Worster, Gach and Marco, I'm looking at you). Meanwhile our "bigs" consistently get pushed under the basket and give up OReb after OReb.

Guys we were counting on to be consistent contributors are no-shows game after game (Battin, Jenkins) or maddeningly inconsistent (Gach).

This will be a critical off-season for the coaching staff. We have to find plug and play ready guys at these positions:
1. A point guard. My kingdom for a point guard.
2. An inside enforcer
3. A wing that is a consistent scoring threat.

Branden Carlson is our only above average Pac 12 player. A few guys can contribute at this level but aren't likely to provide more next year than this year (Gach, Worster, Mahorcic). I think Madsen and Stefanovich have shown some flashes and should get better with time. But they're both complimentary pieces at most.

Craig Smith inherited a shambles of a program. Sub par talent, a garbage schedule and a culture that needed a reset. He's got an impressive track record of success at increasing levels of competition. So I want to be patient. But, man last night was brutal.

Reactions: ex'dute
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News