ADVERTISEMENT

My conversation with Coaches Connor and Slocum and with Donnie Tillman

JWunderli1

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2006
Cottonwood Heights, UT
My son's high school team (Brighton) attended the Utah team camp and several things happened. First of all, Coach K complimented my son on a few occasions throughout the weekend. The team came in 2nd in their division, losing the championship game by 5 to Highland.

I spoke with coaches Connor and Slocum for a bit and both of them are VERY excited about this recruiting class. They think by the end of the year, we'll be quite good. Slocum said if they redshirt anyone, it might be Lahat BUT he said that he does stuff (protect the rim, run the floor and rebound) better than our current bigs. He's not polished but he can do stuff. I think Both (last name pronounced Gath with the "a" like "ah"), Lahat, and Naseem are the only players that haven't arrived yet but will be arriving probably next week.

Donnie was the scorekeeper at my son's quarter final game and he was VERY personable and had a lot to say. He loves the incoming kids and is very impressed from what he's seen. He's excited for how good he thinks the team will be. He specifically singled out Riley Battin but talked about each player including CJII's elite athleticism.

Donnie also said that he's gone from 10.6% body fat down to 8 and he looks like he's in great shape - he pointed out that he hasn't lost any weight because he replaced the fat with muscle: he's still at 220 lbs. He said he's really working on his skills everyday (today he did a shooting workout with 300 makes and then did ball-handling exercises for a half hour. They had open gym in the Huntsman Center at 3:30 - I watched that a bit since it was right after my son's championship game - and they all looked a bit rusty but athletic and good. Donny said that CJII is still getting in shape from being off for a bit and adjusting to the altitude. Donny had a nice dunk and looked good overall - he said that Coach K said he's got complete trust in him now and he will have the green light to make his own decisions every possession. He also told me he has the biggest hands on the team and that his wingspan is 7'0". Very nice young man and he had the biggest smile talking about the team and the new guys.

One statement stood out to me but it didn't surprise me. He talked about how he thought he had a pretty good freshmen year and that he'll probably score a fair amount more this year but then he said he doesn't care that much about it. He said as long as they are winning, that's the most important thing and if a teammate goes off for 30 AND they get the win, he said he'd be as happy as can be. I'll take a roster full of Tillmans any day. He also mentioned that he will be the biggest wing in the conference.

When I said how excited I am for basketball season he said "But we've got football season before that!!" He's a true Ute.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News