ADVERTISEMENT

Is Utah Basketball a Top 25 JOB....

95 Ute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2007
Obviously it is not a top 25 program. BUT... I think it is a very desirable job:

1. Facilities, check.
  2. Power 5, check (but is this really a big thing - see Gonzaga)
  3. Rich Basketball Tradition, check.
  4. Money, check (but who know if this stays after the LK lesson)
  5. Intangibles, check
Intangibles... What does that mean?
  • Larry Brown (IIRC) said it was an incredibly desirable job because of the tradition BUT ALSO the proximity to SL International. He said that fact alone can not be down played. He lamented the the commute times of other programs to get out on recruiting trips, etc. With the advent of money and private jets MAYBE this isn't such a thing anymore but it was.
  • The Jazz... Some have said Utah cannot be great because SLC and the area is a Jazz town. I think it is the opposite. Having the Jazz in the back yard cannot be anything other that good IMO. It is different in college football because football is an altogether different animal. It seemed like there were connections between the Jazz and the Utes in days gone bye but maybe I am over romanticizing that angle.
  • Biggish city. Mid market anyway. A lot more to do than there used to be. While not NYC, LA, etc. it also is not Corvallis, Logan, Albuquerque, Manhattan (Kansas), Waco, etc.

SO.... I think this is an incredibly desirable spot and program. Utah SHOULD be well behind the high turnover wasteland of the post Majerus era that would scare a lot of coaches away. Will be interesting to see where they land with a coach.

Why am I right and why am I wrong. Genuinely curious to thoughts here.

Reactions: Utesichiban
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News