ADVERTISEMENT

Impact of the Last Five Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

bblackley

All-Conference Poster
Dec 1, 2011
I actually do believe recruits and/or their families look at fan message boards to get an understanding of what the fan base thinks. I also believe that any college that is recruiting against Utah will pay for a membership to fan message boards as a way to use that information to their benefit when possible. It's a drop in the bucket of a recruiting budget to be a member of all fan boards for all teams you recruit against.

With that in mind, I believe the last five months on this board have been detrimental to the school's recruiting efforts. As someone who was born and raised in Utah but who has lived in many other parts of the country, I am fully aware of the perception many in the country have about the state. It has been addressed on this board many times and even as it relates to some recruits. I moved back many years ago because I like Utah, want to continue to build my life here, and want to raise my children here; even though there are things that frustrate me about this place sometimes.

The perception, and some even feel it is a prejudice, is that the state consists of conservative, mostly white, people who have no real understanding of the issues minorities in this country face. This post is not whether you agree or disagree with the reality of what Utah is. This post is my way of explaining how recruits and schools who recruit against us see or use that perception.

If I were a recruiter for another school, it would be incredibly easy to simply show a recruit some of the comments and threads that have taken place over the last few months. All that recruiter has to tell the recruit who is concerned about the state's perception is "look at what they say about things you struggle with because you are X. The people of that fan base do not understand and that is why the perception exists. Because it is true."

Again, this isn't about perception matching reality, it is about dealing with the perception. Many here might have the gut reaction "well if they can't figure it out for themselves, that's their problem" .. or... "that's how I feel and they can like it or not." However, especially now when out of state visits are more and more difficult to make happen, these are the types of forums that show what a fan base thinks about certain issues. Also, we are talking about young people who can be easily swayed by perception especially when a significant portion of their social interaction is done via the internet and/or social media.

Obviously, I feel strongly about many issues that have come up in the past few months - and even years. Anybody can look at my posting history. The social change taking place in this country right now is real whether you agree with it or not. People will take note of the things you say about the situation, and, this being a site about Utah athletics and recruiting means that people looking at Utah sports and recruiting will be taking note.

Believe what you want and say what you want. That is meant to neither be a condescending grant of permission nor a flippant comment. It is, among other things, what we all have the right to do. However, this is a situation where comments will have consequences, and I am simply hoping to make some of those potential consequences clear if they were not already.

For so many reasons, this is a time in our country where people are truly showing what they believe. With that comes, I believe, more responsibility to critically examine our beliefs. The examination may change the belief or make it more solid, but we are now sharing our beliefs because there is precious little other to do in this current reality. More unintended consequences are a byproduct of the increased sharing.

If you read this far, thank you.

Go Utes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News