ADVERTISEMENT

Game Predictions: Utah vs. UND

MSaltas

All-American Poster
Aug 31, 2016
The wait is almost over, 24 hours everyone.... tomorrow the Utes roll out their new offense and the Troy Taylor era officially begins. Here's my game predictions, as well as the outcome. Feel free to chime in below.

QB's
Tyler Huntley: 200 yards passing, 40 yards rushing, 3 TDs (1 rushing, 2 passing), 1 INT
Troy Williams 40 yards, 1 TD
I don't think Huntley goes the distance against North Dakota. He needs the experience, sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams get a late-game series or two as well. This is Huntley's first start so I'm expecting a couple of mistakes, but he has ample talent around him to make him look like a vet.

RB's
Zack Moss: 100 yards rushing, 1 TD
Jordan Howard: 30 yards rushing
DHC: 30 yards rushing
Moss will get the majority of the carries. Before Shyne went down, I didn't expect Utah to have a 1000 yard back. Now, I'm fairly confident Utah will have one with Moss. He's got the ability, just a matter of staying healthy and on the field.

WR's
It'd be hard to guess the stat leaders in this group because Utah is going to rotate 8 guys, plus the running backs are going to be used in the passing game as well, so we could potentially see 10 guys get touches tomorrow. The easy choice on the yards leader is Carrington. He has all the tools and traits for being an All Pac-12 WR (again) and is the weapon Utah can absolutely rely on. I'm excited to see how well he's gelled with Huntley and if they have a connection right off the bat.

I'm also a little surprised to see Nacua over Simpkins on the depth chart. Methinks that Nacua was put in there as a matchup problem for UND's defensive backs--Utah's starting receivers are all 6'2" and above this game.

Defense
I fully expect the defense to dominate this game. I would bet a large Pepsi to anyone that UND doesn't surpass 75 yards on the ground. As Andrew pointed out, UND's offensive line averages about 260 pounds, so I expect Bradlee Anae and Kylie Fitts to live in the backfield and have a hay day tomorrow. Expect to see a constant rotation shift too, with Maxs Tupai (finally) getting some reps, Caleb Repp, John Penisini, Leki Fotu, etc. Utah is sooo deep it's insane.

The secondary will lean a lot on the defensive line this game. There's a lot of new faces, but their jobs will be a lot easier with the big boys pressuring the quarterback and hurrying throws. Everyone get ready for Julian Blackmon, he's been a pleasure to watch in spring and fall and Ute fans will finally get to see what all the hype is about. I'll also be keeping a close eye on Blair, Johnson, Ballard, Hughes and Afia. There's plenty of talent, just need experience.

Final score:
Utah 38 - 13 UND

Reactions: jsta281
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News