ADVERTISEMENT

Fall Camp Day 6- 8.10.16

M Bodkin

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2013
My 5 points today are very simple: 1) New Scoreboard 2) New Scoreboard 3) New Scoreboard 4) New Scoreboard 5) New Scoreboard. Whew, I'm done!

Kidding of course! The Utes were practicing in the stadium today and while the scoreboard was on in all it's shiny, new glory and maybe was a little distracting it didn't completely steal the show. Here is what stood out today in camp:

1) Since I brought it up a little already lets talk stadium improvements. Scoreboard is as good if not better than what everyone has imagined. You will all be very please I think come September 1st. It is a game changer. There are also new, big speakers going all around the stadium so gone are the days of not hearing. Utah has also upgraded their play clocks- they are bigger and easier to see and they have also moved into the digital world with the down markers.

2) It was a big day for the DB's. Marcus Williams started off the interception party snagging a ball Cox threw. A little later freshman Julian Blackmon didn't want to get left out of the fun and caught (a very rare) bad throw from Tyler Huntley. Overall I have been very impressed with all three quarterbacks and their ability to make good decisions and limit turnovers so I'm not worried, but it was great to see that the Utes very well could be gearing up for another great year of interceptions.

3) It's sounding like your starting line-up on the offensive line has been decided. Whit said after practice it's not for sure for sure, but that they like Bolles, Asiata, Dielman, Uhatafe and Tevi. I don't expect this to change unless someone comes out of the blue during tomorrow's scrimmage and makes the coaches really question that line-up. They have been very good most of camp giving the backs room to run, the quarterbacks time to make reads and throw and not making drive killing mistakes.

4) Whittingham hinted after practice that they kind of have in mind what the pecking order at quarterback is but didn't give any further detail. He said they are going to wait for tomorrow in order to let everyone compete but that they have started noticing little details and patterns in all three guys that will form their decision. For the record this is the first time I feel like I can say one quarterback looked better than the others and that was Williams, but then again he's the only one who didn't throw an interception to my knowledge today either.

5) With all the young talent at running back it's great to see Joe Williams taking guys under his wing and getting them polished up so they are ready to go. Today he spent time with Devonta'e Henry-Cole after practice and really made sure he understood the ins and outs of what is expected of a Utah running back. I think this is one thing Utah does well and drills into their guys from the get-go is that even though you are competing for spots you're not above helping make each other better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News