ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Pac-12 Power Rankings...

Alex Markham

All-American Poster
Staff
Nov 16, 2011
This is laughable, give it a read. What the writer thinks of Utah will irritate you guys, but it'll be a good topic of discussion. I'm posting it instead of linking, because i honestly don't think it deserves clicks:

i

• Edward Aschoff ESPN Staff Writer
Which team will be the class of the Pac-12 this season? Here's a look at the preseason Power Rankings for the conference.

i
1. Washington Huskies
The Huskies are the early favorite to win the Pac-12 because they own one of the nation's most talented defensive backfields and one of the country's most experienced offensive backfields. Quarterback Jake Browningshould finish the season owning just about every Washington passing record, and running back Myles Gaskin should become the school's all-time leading rusher with more than 4,000 yards. Washington must find reliable receivers, but the Huskies should have no problem leaning on a tough, turnover-thirsty defense.

i
2. USC Trojans
The Trojans could challenge Washington for the league's best defense in 2018, but USC will live and die by its quarterback play. While there's solid talent at receiver and running back, starting with the elusive Stephen Carr, USC must replace Sam Darnold under center. There's not much experience there, but reclassified freshman J.T. Daniels has a chance to be a special player. The Trojans avoid Washington and Oregon in the regular season for the second straight year.

Big Ten power rankings: Can anyone catch Ohio State?
It's crowded at the top, with Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan State and Michigan all chasing the Buckeyes for the top spot in the conference.

i
3. Stanford Cardinal
The return of Bryce Lovegives the Cardinal one of the best overall players in the country. Even with what should be improved quarterback play from returning starter K.J. Costello or former top recruit Davis Mills, no one would be shocked if Love crosses 2,000 yards in consecutive seasons. Stanford's defense is still a big question, especially in the secondary, but the Cardinal have the potential to score plenty of points this fall.

i
4. Oregon Ducks
Mario Cristobal is Oregon's third head coach in as many years. His installation of the pistol this spring also means the third different offense, too. Justin Herbert could be the first quarterback taken in next year's NFL draft and he'll be behind four linemen with significant experience. The defense, which returns DC Jim Leavitt, is poised to break out with seven starters back, including two of the Pac-12's best in end Jalen Jelks and linebacker Troy Dye.

i
5. Arizona Wildcats
It should be exciting to watch Kevin Sumlin work his quarterback magic with the incredibly elusive Khalil Tate, who was fifth in the conference with 1,411 rushing yards. Sumlin, who will keep Tate's legs moving, will be tasked with getting more out of his quarterback's right arm. Arizona's new coaching staff benefits from 17 returning starters, including nine on a defense that is poised to be one of the most improved in the conference.

i
6. Arizona State Sun Devils
No one really knows what to expect from ASU's marriage with Herm Edwards. He hasn't coached in nine years and has no collegiate head-coaching experience. It's also an uphill climb with the lack of overall talent on this roster. Manny Wilkins is back at quarterback, as is one of the nation's best receivers in N'Keal Harry. Danny Gonzales is one of the best young defensive minds, but it'll take a while for him to fully run his tricky 3-3-5 scheme.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News