ADVERTISEMENT

Doing my best Rodney Dangerfield Impression...

Pink Triangle

All-American Poster
Aug 8, 2010
Why doesn't our football team get any respect nationally?

Yes, I realize that the polls are flawed, and the only thing worse than the polls are pre-season polls. But once again, the pre season polls are coming out and BYU is ranked in the Top 25 in SI, while Utah is not, (they are listed as "just outside" which equates to being ranked in the 25-30 range). This happens every year. BYU gets tons of pre season hype, and Utah can't get no respect. How could anyone who actually spent 10 minutes looking into it think that BYU will be a better team than Utah this year? Utah played a top 5 schedule and won 9 games, finishing the year out strong destroying CSU. BYU played a very weak schedule and finished the season by losing to Memphis.

In the last 20 years, has there ever been a more consistently over rated team in the polls than BYU? Maybe Texas over the last 5 years but they were good before that. Contrarily, has there ever been a more consistently underrated team in the polls than Utah, particularly the pre season polls? The interesting thing is that this isn't just the coaches and media. Vegas consistently overrates BYU too. BYU was favored over Utah going into every one of the last 3 rivalry games. Last time Utah played in Provo in 2013, BYU was favored by 7 at home. But honestly, how many Utah fans thought we were going to lose that game? While all but the most delusional BYU fans seemed resigned to the fact that they were going to lose to Utah again; which they did. A large percentage of BYU fans were excited by the idea of trading Bronco for Kyle in December and January; I honestly don't know one Utah fan who would trade Kyle for Bronco. Yet when most of these sites come out with their coach rankings Bronco is ranked ahead of Kyle. Bronco was touted by national commentators as a good backup candidate to Harbaugh for the Michigan job, no one mentioned Kyle even though he actually was a serious candidate.

Any theories on why Vegas and the polls consistently over-rate BYU? Is it possible that it is based on a national championship from 30 years ago? That seems hard to believe. It can't be recent success because Utah has been clearly better and made more national noise over the last 10+ years. What am I missing here?

rodney-dangerfield-4312x4608-wallpaper-635879.jpg

Reactions: ChanseF
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News