ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Luncheon today...

acrossTheGreen

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2010
I thought I would share a few items that stood out from the coaches luncheon today. It was nice to hear directly from Kyle's mouth about a few keys things.
  • QB - Tyler Huntley clearly "won" the job. He was the most accurate all camp. Although, Troy and Cooper were not far behind. Personally, I believe his ability to scramble and his speed also helped in that decision but there are a lot of things that went into it. Kyle showed a few highlights of Huntley scrambling and rolling out. Nothing short of impressive.
  • RB - Shyne's injury is a big blow but we still have a stable of backs who will get playing time. Zach Moss especially, as he has put on a lot of muscle and no longer has the deer in headlights look. Shyne will most likely redshirt this year. His injury was bad. It wasn't from being hit but from trying to catch his fall. He landed awkwardly and had a compound fracture which needed immediate surgery.
  • WR - I've never seen nor heard Kyle so excited about this position. They also showed highlights of Carrington in practice. He will turn some heads this year. One of the catches they showed was a one handed TD grab over the DB and safety. Impressive! Kyle also commented about the depth but only mentioned the top 4 who have already been discussed.
  • DLine- All he really said is we are LOADED!!! We have 3 Sr's in Lowell, Mokofisi and FItts. Anae is soph but is also an NFL bound player like the other 3. The next 5 guys in line can easily step in and get reps and not skip a beat.
  • OLine- This is a group they've spent a lot of focus on. But they are solid now. Unfortunately, they don't have the depth there that we have at Dline but they are going to be good.
  • TE - As soon as Siale and Harrison are back from time off (minor injury), this will be a strong postion. Kyle mentioned that at least one of those two will start next week so they are both almost 100%. Bapa is going to be big for us as well. He mentioned one more TE who just moved from LB but I can't remember his name. Sorry
  • Secondary - This is a very inexperienced group but the athletes here are unreal! Jaylon Johnson will be playing (possibly starting) on Thursday. Julian Blackmon as i mentioned in another thread, is a true shut down corner. His highlights were mostly against Carrington, which i found unique as he is our best receiver. Chase is 80% right now. If he isn't 100% he wont be playing next week but will be back for the following game. I can't remember who we play the following week. Oh well, he's playing and doing well.
  • Someone asked about playing a team like Miami for a future schedule. Kyle's response was that if they are not willing to do a home and home, we just aren't interested and don't think we are at a point where we need to do that. He also commented that if he were to put Urban on speaker and ask if he's willing to schedule with us, the answer would be that we are always welcome to go to the Shoe but there is no way he is coming to Rice Eccles to play us. Interesting... I've asked Urban the same thing before and his response was similar but a lot more colorful ;)
  • Lastly, a question about the QB decision came up and why they went with Huntley. Someone followed up asking about his thoughts regarding TW's high school coach and what he thought about his comments. Kindly, he said he hadn't heard anything but followed it with the fact that Taylor has been coaching QB's for 30 years and trusts his decision.
That sums up most of what was discussed about the players (that i can remember). Sorry for the quick and dirty. But i must say, listening to Kyle was quite refreshing. He is VERY excited to start playing. This is the first year where the NCAA didn't allow 2 a days so they preseason was longer than normal.
These guys are ready to go! I can't wait for that fist kickoff!!!! GO UTES!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News