ADVERTISEMENT

BYU and truth about school rankings...

95 Ute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2007
I think this is worthy of a thread all its own... I copied and pasted this from another thread because I think it is important to note. BYU folk love to praise their elite academia status when, really, they don't have a ton to show for it. How many noble nobel laureates do they have? Where do they rank on innovation? Medicine? Where is their AAU membership card? I am not saying they are a terrible instituion - they have some great programs and it is a fine school. I just don't think it is the powerhouse that Utah is.

They rank high due to one factor. It is enlightening imo.

Their ratings are so high because of the cost of admission is so cheap. Because it is so cheap GPA becomes a discriminator. GPA upon entrance is one of the key discriminators in certain rankings. If the church didn't subsidize the education and let it float to a normal fee then the ranking would plummet due to the lack of applicants in all likelihood. FYI... It costs a U undergrad (regular, not attached to a specific school i.e. business) 40% more per semester to attend the U than it does BYU ($4,021 per semester at Utah vs. $2,895 per semester at BYU for a 12 hour schedule).

CONSIDER THIS: It costs $800 more for 12 hours at BYU than it does at the Salt Lake Community College. THINK ABOUT THAT!? FURTHER: It costs $300 more per semester to attend BYU than Utah Valley. These comps, by the way, are predicated on LDS kids at BYU versus in-state tuition at the Utah schools. Be a NON-Resident and that cost differential sky rockets in steep favor to BYU as a cost alternative school.

So... LDS folk can send their kids to BYU with all its bubble protection glory for the price of sending them to the worst in state school in their own back yard. It is a no-brainer to send a kid to BYU which props up admission standards. It doesn't mean the actual school is better. The U, as an academic institution, is vastly superior IMO.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News