ADVERTISEMENT

Afterthoughts and backstories to the Utes 2018 football class

Alex Markham

All-American Poster
Staff
Nov 16, 2011
With the 2018 class out of the way, I wanted to share some thoughts as well as some backstories. I initially thought of doing this as a live chat, but I'm going to leave this open for a day, regarding any questions you guys have regarding the football team's 2018 class.

Signing Day Thoughts: Overall, I felt like the Utes finished strong. Losing Penei Sewell hurt, but only because they lost Junior Angilau, early--who everyone and their dog thought was a Utah lock, until about the closing week. Landing Brumfield and Enis on the final day, was the icing on the cake.

Some backstories:

-Solomon Enis was a soft silent commit, ever since his visit. Still there was a lot of unease, especially when that Penn St. video popped up. We're told that there wasn't 100% confirmation from Enis, until early signing day morning.

-Zidane Thomas was a silent commit. We actually had an article to post for him, that we had to sit on during early signing day. From that point on, he irritated the staff because: he didn't go public with a commitment. He didn't sign early, and he didn't shut down the recruiting process. Because of that, the Utes loved Brumfield and they weren't going to let Thomas screw them over. Because of this, I wonder how Thomas feels having to settle for a G5 school?

-Near the start of the football season, it was safe to say that all four of the top East HS kids were Utah leans. From there, a multitude of things happened, but the one common denominator was their coach Brandon Matich. I wanted to give Brandon Matich the benefit of the doubt, but a perfect example is that when Maile wanted to committed to Utah, Matich tried talking him into waiting until after his Oregon visit. In my opinion--and I've always liked Matich--when a kid tells you he wants to go somewhere, don't try and force him to delay so he can see something else... I'm still shaking my head over how Angilau did a complete 180.

-Tevita (David) Fotu, initially didn't sign with Utah because of grades, but we've been told that it's really no longer a concern.

Now, what I anticipate out of the class--

Most immediate impact on offense: Terrell Perriman
Perriman COULD redshirt, but he also could be the most explosive player on offense (not named Britain Covey).

Most immediate impact on defense: Jackson Cravens
Defensive tackle is stacked, but everyone is young. Therefore, the opportunity is there for Cravens to capitalize, as the Utes space-eater, Lowell Lotulelei graduated. So, why not Bryant Pirtle or Jeremiah Jordan? Jordan is a big dude, but Tafua and Anae have the two ends locked down. As for Pirtle, it very well could be him, but he could also end up at defensive end and the belief is that he'd thrive there even more than Jordan.

Best long-term potential not named Jack Tuttle:
Well, this one is a no-brainer with Jack Tuttle, so let's go the runner-up. I'm going to go high-risk high-reward on this with Thomas Yassmin, but as a defensive lineman. I just think that once he perfects it--which might not come for two years--Yassmin will wreak havoc on offenses.

Any other questions you guys have on the 2018 football class, fire away and we'll answer them through the next day. I know Andrew will jump on this thread and give his thoughts, as well...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News