ADVERTISEMENT

5 Points Offense: 4.1.16

M Bodkin

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2013
It may have been April Fool's Day but up on the hill Utah's football team wasn't suffering them as they got down to business on day 6 of practice.

1) Huntley had two very nice, poised plays to start 11 on 11's . The first was in the left front corner of the end zone for Fulks who was heavily covered by a defender. The ball was well placed and Fulks did a very nice job of fighting for the ball down to the ground. The second Huntley found a wide-open Field in the right front corner of the end zone. While Huntley has been very impressive overall when he does make mistakes they have been very costly. As was mentioned in the live thread it's less about his talent/potential and more about getting seasoned to the speed of college ball. The kid's potential is astronomical though.

2) I felt Williams was a little slow to start today, but even with that said he's very good as systematically moving the offense with both small chunk plays and then building up to a "wow" type play. Williams' best play of the day was a 40 (+) yard play to Butler-Byrd followed by a hand-off to Joe Williams who ran it in for a touchdown. In my estimation Williams makes great decisions and is confident to boot, as soon as he's fully comfortable with the guys around him and Utah's scheme he could be a special player.

3) Cox also had his share of good plays but it often times felt like the receivers let him down a bit. He overall made good decisions and went for plays that had high potential but they never seemed to quite work out in his favor. Cox found Young early in the end zone and it would have been a touchdown but Allen pushed Young down before he got the ball. Cox threw a beauty for Butler-Byrd who looked like he had it until Andre Godfrey came out of nowhere and stopped BB from making the play.

4) This brings me to my fourth point- I feel the receivers have made significant strides, but I don't feel like today was their best collective effort. Some guys- Butler-Byrd, Fulks, Field and Seabrook made some really nice plays, but there also seemed to be a lot of easy drops. Young had one go right through his hands that he should have had and that seemed to be a bit of a theme for the day for the group. I expect them to do much better Tuesday. Holliday won't let them get away with it.

5) Monte Seabrook probably had his best day of practice today. The potential is there and it's very apparent he's been working his tail off to get where he needs to be. He made a catch towards the very end of practice that showed just how athletically gifted he is. If he can get better about being a consistent threat he could make a very good wide receiver for the Utes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News