ADVERTISEMENT

5 Points Offense: 3.26.16

M Bodkin

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2013
The first week of spring ball is in the books. The back and forth between the offense and defense to start spring ball has been very fun and entertaining to say the least. For once it feels like the wide receivers have been able to hold their own with the defensive backs without a bit of a warm-up period and it's been a refreshing change to see. Here is what stood out at this morning's practice:

1) Guy Holliday can match wits with Sharrieff Shah and it's a beautiful thing. Just as the receivers are showing they can compete with the defensive backs the coaches too are showing that competitive edge and it's fun to watch and listen to. At one point when there was a contested ball I could hear Holliday saying 'it's a catch' and Shah arguing that it wasn't. Another fun battle to watch is the one between Kenric Young and Marcus Williams. The last two days I've overheard them jawing at each other and it's been pure entertainment. The competitiveness that's coming out on both sides early in camp feels like a really good thing. Guys are hungry and looking to improve.

2) HolladayUte mentioned it in the Live Thread but it's worth mentioning again how good Kyle Fulks, Caleb Repp and Tyler Cooperwood looked today. Also was really liking what Wallace Gonzalez, Harrison Handley and Kenric Young were doing. I know a lot of people were worried about the talent on the receiving end but I really think Utah has an embarrassment of riches here that no one is really aware of. Yes they are unproven, and yes they have to do in a game how they have done in practice, but the potential is clearly there. That cupboard is not empty in the slightest and it will be exciting to see who exactly becomes THE guy(s).

3) Marcel Manalo had another great day. He sure is fun to watch and I really enjoy they way he plays the game. He's just super physical and not afraid to take a hit or lay a hit and he seems to have good control of the ball. Also has decent speed for being such a load. He took one to the house for the second day in a row. After practice he was asked about his name change and he said it's something he's planning on keeping under wraps for now until he can talk to the coaches about it. Sounds like there is a very interesting story there.

4) If anyone didn't perform as well as I maybe would have hoped it was the offensive line. They got owned by the defensive line more than once today. I would attribute most of this to the fact the Utes are experimenting with different line-ups of guys trying to find their best five and their back-ups. I'm looking forward to seeing how Utah decides to use the guys they have at this position because there are a lot of talented players to choose from and plug in. I do have to say I think Leka Uhatafe has improved a great deal from last year. He did a really good job in drills with the defensive line and you could tell Harding was very pleased with his performance.

5) I love how poised all three quarterbacks appear to be under pressure and I really like how they all have a very similar skill set. I really think that will decomplicate things for the offense this year. I know A-Rod has said in the past Utah's quarterbacks were more similar than they were different but I actually would believe that statement this year. One example of great composure came from Williams today. He had a defender right in his grills and he never once panicked. He starred the defender down and found Gonzalez for a big gain. It was so effortless.

***Bonus*** Now that he's had a few good practices under his belt I feel ok talking about a conversation I had about two years ago concerning Tyler Cooperwood. The jist of the conversation was that Utah got a steal on him coming on as a walk-on. As a matter of fact my contact told me they had been told Coop was the best walk-on they had ever seen. It's early and a lot can happen but definitely remember the name. The kid clearly wants it bad and has shown it in practice consistently to this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News