ADVERTISEMENT

5 Points from Practice Defense 4/5

B. Borg

Junior Poster
Gold Member
May 15, 2014
Sorry this took a bit longer to get posted. I waited to interview Coach Shah today. He is always a great interview, gets very in depth, but you have to wait around 45 minutes after practice to talk to him. Hopefully the info you get from it later will be worth the wait.

1) Never run up the middle against this team. I know this isn't news but Lowell is so dominating it isn't fair to have him out there. He is so much like his brother. He either takes up two offensive lineman, freeing up another player or he just stand up the running back. He's getting constant push.

2) Combine that with Dimick and Fitts on the right side and Pita out on the left, the defensive line is incredible. Pita was singled out by coach Whitt today. By my count he got three sacks and one tackle for a loss.

Late in the practice in live drills, the offense had the ball 2nd and 10 from the 12. Marcel Manalo ran out to the left side, Pita moved out laterally and set the edge, forcing Marcel back inside where Dunn was able to tackle him for a loss. If Pita can set the edge consistently, watch out.

3) The offense played a lot cleaner today. Although the defense won the battle for contested balls, they didn't come away with any interceptions, just a lot of pass breakups.

The lone turnover came off a pitch from Tyler Huntley to Joe Williams. Williams lost handle on the ball that was pitched behind him and Kylie Fitts quickly jumped on the ball.

4) Boobie Hobbs has upped his game. In the past he has seemed to be a step behind on making plays. He had made major strides in getting in the right position and getting the job done. I saw four pass breakups from Hobbs. He stopped Simpkins multiple times coming across the middle, and stripped the ball away from Cooperwood with perfect timing punching the ball out of his hands from behind.

5) Linebackers struggled today. Very few plays were made by that group today. Lucky for them the D line was fitting on all cylinders. Barton has looked the best of the group, but I don't know if Utah's starting 2 backers are on campus yet. It's strange to not see the defensive guided by the backers both in production and emotional leadership. Their presence went unknown today and that causes me some concern.

Of course things can change, but as of now I don't know who is ready to step in that role. Whitt singled LB's and receivers as the two groups to worry about today after practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News