ADVERTISEMENT

5 Points From Practice Defense- 4/23

B. Borg

Junior Poster
Gold Member
May 15, 2014
Well, Utah wrapped up their final practice of spring today. Coach Whittingham started by giving quite the speech about not taking this practice lightly. He mentioned they all claim to want to be Pac 12 champions and in order to do that they couldn't waste a practice. He was very animated and used some choice phrases. That being said there wasn't much to today's practice. The last 25% was used to go over plans for the Red and White game this Saturday.

1) Austin Lee- I kind of dropped the ball on my info for this kid, I'm sorry. He is with the safeties. They have worked him in with the nickles and that is where I've seen him with Shah and the corners. That experiment is over and will be a safety. He is with the twos right now, but that with both Williams and Carter not participating. Right now Evan Eggiman, a walk-on, is ahead of him. Scalley says he is the fastest of the bunch, but has a long ways to go mentally, understanding the playbook and cover schemes. Lee said in high school it was all instincts, very little assignments.

2) Casey Hughes showed quite the bit of athleticism today. He was coming off the left edge and he read the throw from Hansen. Hughes stopped on a dime and exploded into a standing jump and knocked down the ball. I would guess the ball was around 10 feet in the air.

3) After dominating last practice, the second unit had troubles handling the offenses tempo today. Hansen.was really getting the plays off quick and the defense had a hard time getting the play calls in and getting set in their positions. The second string offense moved the ball pretty well when they pushed the tempo.

4) Coaches where really hard on the guys today. They really didn't want the effort to drop in the final practice. When the defense missed out on make-able plays they were pretty vocal on the guys. After Allen let someone go inside on him, Shah yelled, "Don't let technique go out the damn window now."

After Hobbs got lost in coverage and have up a front corner touchdown, Scalley jumped on him, "Please do your job ONE time"

Coaches weren't letting this practice slide away.

5) No turnovers today. The biggest play came while practicing the hurry up offense. With the ball on their own 40, the had under one minute to get a field goal off. The offense (2nd string) had one last play to get into field goal range before the clock went out. Seni Fauonuku, came around from behind and sacked Hansen, taking them out of range and leaving with zero points. That was the last play of practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News