ADVERTISEMENT

UW game thoughts and pick ‘em.

socal521rivals

All-American Poster
Jan 17, 2006
In (dis)honor of Washington alum Jim Mora, Jr., I would like to say: I am “fired up” for this game.

No question, biggest game of 2019.

Here’s some random facts and observations…because random is what I do best.

I feel Huntley had his “coming out” party in the 2017 game at Seattle. I feel the coaches lost that game, 100%. The kids, Huntley especially, played their asses off. I'm looking at that 2017 game as a benchmark.

Utah went into that game 5-5. They’d finish 3-6 in the PAC-12 in 2017. In contrast, Washington would finish 7-2, second in the North having lost the tiebreaker to Stanford (i.e., Love’s big year). UW had 11 guys on the PAC-12 first and second teams. Miles Gaskin became UW’s career rushing touchdown leader during that game. In short, Utah had a rather rough year, and UW was good. Not CFP good, but damn good. Utah lost by 3 when the defense and coaches went soft.

Utah played without defensive starters Kylie Fitts, Chase Hansen and Casey Hughes.On offense, Darren Carrington was hobbled but played.

2017 doesn’t seem all that long ago, but consider this: Jaylon Johnson and Leki Fotu both started for only the second time in their careers in that game. They were babies, for crying out loud.

I don’t know UW too well this year, but I feel 2019 Utah is a much, much better team now than they were in 2017. Comparing 2017 (total season) vs. 2019 (to date) here are some statistical measures to back this up:

Rush defense. Remember how Lowell and Moko kind of disappointed (albeit because there were very lofty expectations) and Utah had trouble containing an edge? The 2017 Utes were 22nd in rush defense at 128.7 ypg. Not bad, except they finished below BYU nationally. :eek:That’s like getting salsa from New York City!!!:mad: In 2019 Utah is 1st in rush defense at 56.4 ypg. Now, that's more like it.

Team passing efficiency: with Troy “Wonder Dog” Taylor in his first year and with Darren Carrington, Utah would finish 93rd in passing efficiency. With boring old Andy Ludwig in his first year, Utah is currently 7th. Let that sink in. S-E-V-E-N-T-H. Not in the PAC-12; in the FBS!!! Someone reach out to ilnati and see if he’s rolled over in his grave yet. Imagine that: Utah with a competent passing offense?!?! Who is Utah’s 2019 DC? Stop thinking. They don’t have one. Remember that Covey kid? Umm, maybe from 2018? Utah (aka, Tyler Huntley) has no single receiver he can lean on to carry this passing game. That's awesome that he's getting it done and spreading it around.

Btw, in case you were wondering, 7th is first in the PAC-12. Oregon with what's-his-name future something draft pick is next at 13.​

Rush offense: old reliable. The more things change, the more they stay the same. 2017 Utah: 32nd at 214 ypg. 2019 Utah: 22nd at 219 ypg. This with Moss playing about half the time (other than BYU, ASsU and CAL games).

Total defense: 48th in 2017. Third in 2019.

For sure, Utah is likely going to dip in these stats following this week’s contest. UW is just far better than the past four opponents (2019 conference win % of 31.6%). Those last four teams are so bad they should be banished to the Island of Misfit Toys.

When you consider the soft underbelly of the schedule is ahead in the remaining schedule, Utah is on track for a statistic-smashing year. Note: UCLA, Arizona and Colorado follow. Respectively they are 112, 119 and 125 in total defense. The only other 2019 Utah opponent in the 100s for total defense is Washington State.​

UW is a somewhat shocking 2-3 in conference, but that is a bit deceiving. They’ve outscored their opponents in those contests by 23 points and lost the three games by a total of 15 points. The teams they’ve played have a combined 2019 conference win percentage of 60% through this week’s games.

Utah might have gotten fat on the little sisters of the poor; Washington has not underwhelmed by losing to them.​

Now for the really random observations:

• Is Huntley Utah's “Mr. October”? Huntley just completed a perfect 4-0 month. In fact, he’s done it in back-to-back seasons. His career record in October is 7-2 (77.8%). Here are other Utah teams, in the modern era (i.e., subsequent to my time as an undergrad at Utah) that the Utes have been perfect for October (along with their October record, the primary QB and the season record):
o 1994, 4-0 (McCoy), 10-2​

o 1996, 3-0 (Fouts), 8-4

o 2004, 4-0 (Smith), 12-0

o 2008, 3-0 (Johnson), 12-0

o 2009, 4-0 (Wynn), 9-3

o 2010, 4-0 (Wynn), 9-3​

o 2014, 3-0 (Wilson), 8-4​

Nobody else has done October back-to-back. Note: Wynn replaced Cain who had at least one of the 2009 wins.​

As is clear from this list, going perfect in October translates into a pretty, pretty, pretty good season. Maybe even a special season. Certainly, not special as in you're going to school on the short bus.​

The back-to-back in 2009-2010 coincides with Utah’s arrival as among the “elite” in the MWC. True, there was one better in those days (TCU), but what this might suggest is: Utah is on the cusp of entering elite status in the PAC-12.​
  • Two things I’m looking for in this Saturday’s game:
o Return of the 4-3 D. If you go by the starting lineups, in every contest going back to 2016, Utah has started 3 linebackers. In fact, in the 2016 home game they started someone named Hayden Clegg. Will Utah do it this year?​

o Trick plays. On both O and special teams, Utah has been pretty conservative relative to seasons past. In the 2017 UW game, Utah onside kicked after their first touchdown. Recall the 2015 @ Oregon game where there was a veritable plethora of trick / gimmick plays, which propelled Utah to a huge win? I can't recall the game, but I know Mitch Wish converted a fake punt into a first down. I remember him getting an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for spiking the ball.

Hey, it's November 2nd, folks, which means there's bound to be "trick or treat" candy about. Now's the time to dip into the playbook's "trick" section.​

In summary, and in conclusion (yes, finally :oops:): Earlier I opined that the 2017 game in Seattle was Tyler’s “coming out party.” Why? Can you have a coming out party with a loss? I think so. As noted, Utah went into that contest at 5-5 on the season and finished with a 3-6 conference mark. Since that 2017 loss at UW, the Utes are 10-4 in conference play (71.4% win). They’ve gone 4-3 on the road. Now, J. Shell has a couple of those wins, but still, Tyler’s 8-4 in conference since. He entered that game with a 1-3 conference record as the leading passer. He’s clearly a better player, better quarterback and better leader today than in 2017. Utah’s a better team overall, for sure, but in part (a large part), they are better because of Tyler.

UW? Are they up to 2017's standard? We’ll see.

I’ve got Utah in this one, 31-24.

Please consider a donation to your local Humane Society and . . . beat the he!! out of the damn dogs!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News