ADVERTISEMENT

Special Defensive Performance - Future is Bright!

ChicagoUte

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2006
The Utah defense has grown leaps and bounds over the past 4 to 5 games. Ever since the Oregon State loss, they have found their stride and for the most part, have stepped up and been accountable. Granted, Oregon's wide receiver group was depleted last night and for the balance of the year. Given the 4/5 stars they recruit, it shouldn't have mattered, but our guys did a number on them. That's without Broughton and Marks. Zach Vaughn has been on heck of a find and a stand out when we needed someone to step up opposite Clark when Broughton went down. He's not perfect, but he's getting better with each game. When you look at the various position groups, we are being led by mostly Freshman. This defense is going to be really good for the foreseeable Future.

DT
- Junior Tafuna (Freshman) - Now a starting DT and getting better with every game. Already very thick, but he will grow and be dominant
- Aliki Vimahi (Freshman) - Now a starting DT and getting better with every game. Similar to Junior, will only get bigger and better. Difference with Junior and Aliki is they move really well and get off blocks.
- Tennessee Putuau (Freshman) - Started last year a couple of games. Very explosive but been dealing with nagging injuries. Very promising future. Runs really well
- David Fotu (Sophomore) - Redshirting. Great blood lines. Will be a stud
- Simote Pepa (Freshman) - Redshirting. Could be a difference maker with his size and agility
- Fua Pututua (Sophomore) - Limited time, but he did get in a few games and what I saw was a disruptor.

DE
- Van Fillinger (Freshman) - Starting DE. 3 sack in one game this year and I believe he has 5 on the year. Has a chance to be great
- Xavier Carlton (Freshman) - Has rotated in throughout the year and shown flashes. very high ceiling
- Jonah Ellis (Freshman) - Moved from LB to DE in the middle of the year and has a chance to be a great rush end. Could take over for Tafua. Jonah has a great burst and a non stop motor. Good blood line
- Jonny Fanaika (Freshman) - Redshirting. Great blood lines
- Miki Suguturaga (Freshman) - Gets some time out there when starters need a break. Has great potential
- Tyler Wegis (Freshman) - 6' 6" with a great motor. Just needs time to get his weight up. Should be a force in another year or two

LB
- Karene Reid (Freshman) - Started 1 game when Lloyd had to sit out the first half for targeting. Interception and made a lot of plays. If not for Newell and Lloyd ahead of him, we would be playing
- Ethan Calvert (Freshman) - Believe both Calverts are redshirting. Not sure. Big recruiting gets with huge upside
- Josh Calvert (Freshman) - See above
- Lolani Langi (Freshman) - Believe he is redshirting. Stud recruit with a very promising future
- Trey Reynolds (Freshman) - Redshirting. Big recruit with huge upside
- Mason Tufaga (Freshman) - Believe he is also redshirting. Stud...

CB's
- Clark Phillips III (Freshman) - Stud. I hope we have him for 2 more years
- JaTravis Broughton (Freshman) - Redshirting after his injury. Showed great upside
- Zemiah Vaugh (Freshman) - Stepped into starting CB spot when Broughton went down and has done real well
- Fabian Marks (Freshman) - Started at times and has looked real good
- Malone Mataele (Sophomore) - Starting nickel back who is improving every game I see him play
- Kenzel Lawler (Freshman) - Redshirting
- LaCarea Pleasant-Johnson (Freshman)
- Drew Rawls (Freshman)
- Caine Savage (Freshman)

Safety
- Cole Bishop (Freshman) - Could be very special. Has the body and athleticism to play on Sunday
- Kamo'i Latu (Freshman) - Spot starter who brings the lumber. Going to be very good
- Darrien Stewart (Freshman) - Believe he is redshirting

That is 30 defensive players, of which 27 are freshman. 16 of the 30 are either starting or seeing significant playing time. I certainly don't want to look past the present, because the thought of our Utes going to the Rose Bowl is amazing, but it's hard not to project out a year or two and see how special this defense can be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News