ADVERTISEMENT

Signing Day Thoughts

MSaltas

All-American Poster
Aug 31, 2016
All said and done, Utah finished off the 2018 class strong and went after biggest areas of need (defensive end, WR, LB) for some intriguing prospects. In the Pac-12, they should finish 5th or 6th, well above what they have been in the past. Here are some of my thoughts on the new guys:

Biggest get(s)

No question, the two that stand out during the signing period is Jack Tuttle and Solomon Enis. Getting a four-star QB and WR in the same class is unprecedented in Utah football. Just take a look at who Utah beat out for these guys, and tip your cap to the football staff for sticking to their guns and getting two skill position players that could probably make the roster on any team in the country. Not to mention, they are both out of state talent that decided SLC was the place for them. Utah went out and got their future QB1 and #1 WR.

Biggest misses

Another no brainer on this one, it's Penei Sewell and Junior Angilau. Those two are guys that have the bodies and skill to make an impact immediately on the o line, and it stings to have local talent move away--especially for Sewell, who will likely end up in the Pac-12. Angilau, post mission, would've been a prime candidate to fill in at tackle, while Sewell would no doubt contribute in 2018 for the Utes. Next class, expect a major focus on the offensive line in recruiting.

Quickest Impact

It should come as no surprise as the two with the quickest route to seeing the field are the JUCO guys -- Bryant Pirtle, Jeremiah Jordan and Vonte Davis. Davis is intriguing because he has 3 years of eligibility (will come to the U as a sophomore) and will bring some depth at the least to the stiff corner situation.
Jeremiah Jordan will be in the defensive line rotation in the fall to fill in for Kylie Fitts. He's a massive specimen, standing at 6-foot-6 and over 250. He's big, strong, and powerful, everything you want in a prototypical end in this defense.
The most intriguing JUCO guy to me is Bryant Pirtle. Someone must've did this man some wrong, because he plays nasty and plays with a chip on his shoulder every single down. Pirtle is the epitome of reloading at LB, instead of rebuilding.

Solid in-state recruiting

Besides the fact that Angilau and Sewell are on the outs, the Utes did really well in-state. They took home prized national recruits in Lotulelei, Kump, Cravens, Pututau, Maile and got future studs in Fanaika and Fotu. The interesting thing to me is all of the family ties to Utah these guys have -- Lotulelei, Cravens, Pututau, Maile, Fanaika and Fotu all are connected to the program. That can't happen without a solid inter web of connected family, and it's a testament to the family atmosphere of the program. The state of Utah belongs to the Utes, once again.

Southern Pipeline

Terrell Perriman and Devin Brumfield (Florida and Louisiana, respectively) keep the southern pipeline alive for the Utes. Brumfield is the first Louisiana guy to come to Utah since Boobie Hobbs (if I recall correctly) and Perriman is part of that coveted Florida speed. There's no doubt that football, especially high school, is different in the south. These two played in some of the top districts in their respective states and absolutely crushed it. Devin looks like he needs to drop about 10 pounds and Perriman will have to battle Covey for the slot, but you just don't find athletes like that off the street. They'll come ready to compete.

Biggest Gamble

Thomas Yassmin. It's always a gamble when you give a coveted Pac-12 scholarship to someone who has yet to play a down of football, but there was a late push by UCLA and Washington for Yassmin and the Utes were lucky enough to land the Aussie. I see him ending up at defensive end, but I'd really love to see him pick up football blocking schemes and line up at tight end. It's not every day an athlete like that walks through the door, and by all accounts, Thomas is as intelligent as he is athletic.

The Other Guys

Simi Moala: Wow, this guy is physically impressive. He's fast for 6-foot-7, 240 pounds. Ultimately, the offensive line needs more help right now than the defensive line and I think he's tried out at both positions. It's always good to steal someone who would otherwise play against you (OSU or BYU).

Blake Kuithe: Blake has an inch and about 10 pounds on his brother, and I expect him to stay on the ends. He's a prime redshirt candidate, so it might be a couple of years until we get to see him on the field, but he is an intriguing prospect from Texas.

Brant Kuithe: Blake's twin Brant will likely see time at tight end, and with Fotheringham coming back from a mission, it might be tough for him to see the field right away. Still, with Siale and Handley gone, tight end is ripe for the taking.

Braeden Daniels: A future offensive guard for the Utes. He has good size at 6-foot-4, though he'll need to put on some weight before he lines up for Utah. Give him a redshirt year and some snaps, and I see Daniels contributing in a few years for the line.

Malone Mataele: Love this pickup. Malone (Ma-LOW-nay) has great size already for safety and it helps he's already practicing with the team. Getting him some spring ball reps will be huge, especially with such an upperclassmen-heavy safety situation on campus right now.

Andrew Mata'afa: Calling my shot now, Mata'afa is going to be all-Pac by the time he's done at the U and get a chance to play on Sundays. If he's going to play LB, he'll need to pack on another 20 pounds or so, but he's a playmaker on defense. Ultimately, I see him playing some LB/DE hybrid, but I think Mata'afa might've been one of the most under recruited signees this class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News