ADVERTISEMENT

Regarding Barnes being reported as the starter

Alex Markham

All-American Poster
Staff
Nov 16, 2011
I’ve seen Newman’s report. I’ve been tied up until a half hour ago and started seeing all my messages. I have no reason to doubt what he’s saying.

A little run-through…

At the end of last week, it was seeming like Whittingham and Ludwig were beginning lean Barnes’ way due to him have big game experience and consistency. There’s also the real chance that Johnson started trending down, but I was also told he threw a 65 yard pass in the last 7-10 days.

Whether Rising has been cleared or not, there have opinions starting to emerge that it would be beneficial to give him a few more weeks and ramp him. I’m in the camp with agreeing on that.

As for me with Barnes and Johnson, if they truly are even, I’d rather go with the higher ceiling in Johnson, especially knowing that they were considered even. I think Barnes can win and win convincingly if he plays within the game plan and doesn’t try the risky difficult throws. It’s easy to have nightmares of the Wazzu game knowing that game was a lot closer than it should have been. A lot of that was Barnes choosing riskier short throws to the sidelines. It’s important to remember that it was his first start, and I’m sure he’s grown from that game experience.

I know most will be down that the backup to Rising isn’t Johnson, BUT I do know there has been a solid level of confidence with the team surrounding Barnes as camp ended and game prep began.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News