ADVERTISEMENT

Random Thoughts and Predictions at the End of Spring Camp

D. Sorensen

All-American Poster
Jul 21, 2005
Spring camp is in the books. Other than Troy McCormick going down, it was somewhat uneventful in terms of big news stories - which is exactly what you want to see in spring. Here are a few of my random thoughts based on what happened and conversations I've had:

- Unless he re-aggravates his knee injury, I really do think Kendal Thompson is going to be the starter by the end of fall camp. I'm not going to bag on Travis (although there are plenty on this site who are happy to do just that) but given the fact that Thompson was able to participate as much as he did this spring, it bodes well for his chances once he's able to see live action this fall. I think Utah will win a lot of games regardless of who's at the helm this fall, but if Kendal really is an improved thrower, his running ability gives so much more of an added dimension that you have to like his chances. Either way, the QB battle this fall is going to be a lot of fun.

- There will be a QB transfer out this summer. I know for certain of one that was exploring his options before spring camp, and now that spring is over I expect him to leave for certain.

- There's a lot of concern about the WR position, and for good reason. There aren't a lot of proven guys out there. If Lucien decides to transfer to Utah (which I'm hearing isn't out of the question, but most people I talk to are convinced he'll go to ASU) then the WR corps should be fine this fall. If he doesn't, then Utah will need someone to step up that hasn't yet. Deniko Carter is a possibility. Fulks too. Tim Patrick should be good to go, but he wasn't much of a deep threat last season. WR will be the biggest question mark of the season.

- I really liked Utah's approach with Reggie Porter this spring. He's less than a year removed from a devastating knee injury. His reps were extremely limited, but he was able to get enough quality reps in to improve his chances of being an impact guy this fall. By all accounts, he played very well. I'm excited to see what he can do once his given the green light to go all out.

- On a related note, I like that Utah limited reps for a lot of the guys expected to be big contributors this fall. No need to risk serious injury for guys that are proven.

- The defensive line is going to be very, very good this fall. I expect Dimick to not miss a beat. Fanaika, Fitts and Taumoepenu are going to be strong off the edge as well. Lotulelei, Mokofisi and Faounuku will anchor a strong interior. The D line will be fun to watch and will set the tone for a defense that should be extremely stingy in 2015. They have the chance to be the best defense in the conference - even without Nate.

- The offense certainly didn't set the world on fire this spring. I'm not certain whether that's a good or a bad thing. The offense will revolve around Devontae Booker this fall, and he's talented enough to carry the team. I like this Utah O line. They have the chance to be pretty good - and they've been strong run blockers the last few years. If Utah can get anything out of the QBs, they'll surprise some people.

- I think the baseline for this Utah team this fall is top 25 and a bowl bid. Anything less will be a disappointment.

- Utah State and Oregon State are 100% absolutely must win games - solely for the PR aspect of it. Utah is better than both programs, and they need to emphatically state it on the field.

- A final thought about the spring game. This may not be a popular opinion, but from a football standpoint, spring games are stupid and a waste of time. There. I said it. I'm glad that Utah coaches held so many guys out of it. Every year some player makes a big splash at the spring game, and almost always that player ends up doing nothing in the fall. The only exception that comes to mind is Devontae Booker - who I thought looked good in last year's spring game and ended up becoming a star. I know it's not good entertainment, but I have no issue whatsoever having the coaches sit anyone of consequence for the spring game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News