ADVERTISEMENT

QB Recruiting....

95 Ute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2007
Another fanatical lightning rod.... I'll vent, because I too am a fan (fanatical: adj. filled with excessive and single-minded zeal.). Hindsight is 2020. To lament the quarterbacks Utah has lost, "the legacy kids," is silly. Let's review the current state of things: Utah has NUMEROUS 4 star quarterbacks on the roster and a few tough looking 3 stars. Utah quarterback recruiting is surging.

Get over the loss of Zach Wilson... Wilson would be nowhere right now if he chose Utah. At the time Utah was entrenched with the Gatorade Player of the Year from Florida (one of the top QBs to ever play at Utah). Wilson was not supplanting Huntley AND TO BE CANDID it looks like Huntley still may very well have the better professional career than Wilson. Wilson has the better opportunity right now, and paycheck to go with it, but Huntley will be a league QB sooner rather than later. Wilson was given an opportunity to develop at BYU. He was not good his freshman and sophomore years. He was so bad most TDS fans wanted Romney or others to get the start going into the Covid year. He blew up - good for him. BUT if he had the same freshman or sophomore year at Utah he probably doesn't get to his junior year. Remember that Wilson LOST to Northern Illinois, Utah State, Cal, Boise State in 2018. He lost to Toledo, USF, AND BARELY sneaked by LIBERTY in 2019. Those peformances and he doesn't get to 2020 at Utah. And with respect to his brother.... Big brother had such a breakout year in 2020 (against crap competition) that we now think his brother IS THE BETTER version. His brother is 3rd on the depth chart at CC right now and cannot hold a candle to Brown. He's a sophomore right now and TDS gave him an offer in the HOPEFUL strategy that he pays off BUT he is small and has a UTE CONFERENCE set of film to go by. STOP drooling over him. He is not worth a scholarship offer right now.

With respect to Jaxon Dart... IIRC (and I believe I do) he had 1 D1 scholarship offer GOING INTO his senior season. He blew up. USC got on him. He played in a system similar to USC and he seems to be thriving there. BUT UTAH had Costelli wrapped up before Dart blew up. It is INCREDIBLY BAD FORM for Utah to forego stud recruits in the hope that some legacy kid blows up. Good for Dart but NO ONE can judge that hit or miss right now because we have no idea where Costelli will wind up.

Utah will hit/miss on recruits. SO WILL EVERY PROGRAM. But to judge the Utah recruiting ability based on two BIG outliers is nuts. Settle in, enjoy the Rising opportunity and look forward to a HUGE stable of kids sitting on the bench RIGHT NOW when their time comes.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News