ADVERTISEMENT

Mods or anyone else who knows: Some questions about rating HS players.

mmoffitt321801

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2009
As we approach the most intense part of the recruiting season, I had some questions I've wanted to ask on player's ratings. I found the information below (in italics) explaining Rivals ratings in the following link:

http://www.cougcenter.com/wsu-footb...n-247-star-rating-system-national-signing-day

Some questions:

1. Is the explanation below pretty accurate?
2. I'm pretty sure you have camps kids attend to be evaluated. What other means do you use to determine ratings? I have no idea if most kids make it to a camp or if only a fraction do.
3. I would imagine it's pretty rare for a kid who would be rated a 3* or higher to "fly under the radar (no camps, little known school etc.). How rare or common is it to have some kid fly under the radar? In this day and age where every kid has a highlight film, I'd suspect there are very few, if any, hidden gems.
4. I'm aware there are 3* guys in the NFL and 5* guys who are college busts, but, do you have any metrics you've run that tell you how good your ratings are a projecting talent/impact at the college level?
5. Whittingham is famous for saying he doesn't pay attention to your ratings or any body else's but it would seem that he'd use/purchase some type of analytical tool to focus in on 80-90% of the kids he wants carefully evaluated with the other 10-20% coming from miscellaneous sources including H.S. coaches. Any idea what his process looks like for identifying who he wants to recruit?

Thanks.

Rivals

Not everyone does it that way. Rivals rates players based on the impact they are expected to have at their new school and their stars are a little more flexible -- and more generous -- than Scout:

A five-star prospect is considered to be one of the nation's top 25-30 players, four star is a top 250-300 or so player, three-stars is a top 750 level player, two stars means the player is a mid-major prospect and one star means the player is not ranked.

Rivals also assigns each player a number in their evaluation. Here's what they mean.

• 6.1 Franchise Player; considered one of the elite prospects in the country, generally among the nation's top 25 players overall; deemed to have excellent pro potential; high-major prospect
  • 6.0-5.8 All-American Candidate; high-major prospect; considered one of the nation's top 300 prospects; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.7-5.5 All-Region Selection; considered among the region's top prospects and among the top 750 or so prospects in the country; high-to-mid-major prospect; deemed to have pro potential and ability to make an impact on college team
  • 5.4-5.0 Division I prospect; considered a mid-major prospect; deemed to have limited pro potential but definite Division I prospect; may be more of a role player
  • 4.9 Sleeper; no Rivals.com expert knew much, if anything, about this player; a prospect that only a college coach really knew about

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News