ADVERTISEMENT

Held back a bit from opinions post loss but here goes now....

95 Ute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2007
In list form:

1. It's absurd to start questioning Whitt and his desire to coach. He is a top 25 coach in the country. He has his stamps all over the program. Just stop - it is silly to even question him. I get the angst over a loss to TDS but even if Whitt goes 6-6 this year IT IS NOT time to even think about putting a warmer on his seat.
  2. Utah lost Saturday and, without discrediting TDS on their win, I have seen this movie play out over and over again. Utah had the BCS Graveyard. It was a battle cry. It showed that the David could slay the Goliath. I watch Utah dismantle team after team because Utah had the desire and emotional edge to beat those schools. Maybe Alabama didn't really WANT to be their after all and Utah capitalized. BYU had the emotional edge Saturday - not true, they didn't have an emotional edge, they had an emotional gulf over Utah. Simply put - BYU was more prepared, hungry, disciplined and emotionally superior team in every aspect. Utah lost because Utah did not take that game seriously enough and it showed. You could feel it from the kick off. I knew at the end of the FIRST QUARTER Utah was going to lose. Football is an emotional game and when you cannot muster it, or match the intensity of the other side, it is near impossible to win. That is on the players.
  3. Utah has a defensive line problem. The line is without star power. I think these guys are solid but there is no Leki Fotu, no Star Lotuleilei, etc. I don't think Utah has the horses this year on the d-line. It could be a long season as a result. That is OK - sometimes that flame can't always burn with the same intensity but it is what it is this year. I hope I am wrong but I am afraid not.
  4. Utah has an Offensive Line problem. Specifically, Utah has a Jim Harding problem IMO. How many times has Utah walked away empty handed on 4th and short from the opposing team's goal line? Weber and BYU THIS year. I recall Cal, USC, etc., etc. etc. in years past. How many times did Utah come up with 4th and short in 2019? A LOT. How many times did the SAME BLITZ package Weber State employed crush the Utah offense last week? BYU SAID they simply ran the same scheme Weber did and Utah couldn't stop it (I'll see where I can find that quote). Over and over again Utah's O line starts slow only to find it's rhythm late in the year. I don't understand it, I can't understand it. Supposedly Utah's O-line goes up against the best defensive line in the country EVERY DAY IN PRACTICE and yet they seem shell shocked early EVERY YEAR. Utah needs fresh blood there and I hope it happens soon because it is Utah's Achilles heel.
A tip of the hat to TDS and on to SDSU. Right now - even money in my opinion on this game. SDSU wants this one. Does Utah????????

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News