ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Jackson, some other thoughts on hoops recruiting

utebuntu

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Been thinking about bball recruiting a little bit, and wanted to start a thread to get a few thoughts and share some of my own.

I'd really like to see the Utes land Frank Jackson for a number of reasons. First and foremost, I think he's a really talented player, and the type of guy the Utes desperately need.... someone who can really score at will and almost individually stop a long scoring drought. He is a talent. But I also want Frank Jackson because it would be another signature step and a representation of the shift of basketball power in this state back up to the Hill. The last few hoops games (and the resulting seasons) have certainly shown which way the Utes are trending relative to the cougars, but landing Jackson, a Lone Peak player, would be a landmark victory for Larry for instate recruiting.

I think Jackson's final five schools are going to be Duke, Utah, BYU, Stanford, and Arizona.

I'm not sure Duke has officially offered, but if they do, that's going to be hard to beat for Utah. Perhaps the same for Arizona, but I feel like they are kind of late in the game. Stanford... besides the name, not sure they belong in the same basketball conversation right now. Dawkins hasn't had a great run, and many are surprised he hasn't been fired. Barring a miraculous turnaround, I'd be surprised if Dawkins was even around when Jackson returns from his mission. That leaves BYU and Utah to discuss: BYU was where he was obviously committed, but he opened things back up. It wouldn't shock me if he chose BYU, but it is rare to see a player decommit, then open things up, and later recommit to the same school. Utah seems like a good fit for Frank, but he hasn't said a lot about his interest in Utah.

From a few people I've visited with, I get the impression that Utah offering Yoeli Childs would probably help us in landing Frank Jackson. Not sure if that will happen or not, or if Childs is on Utah's radar, but I've been told that by a few people. Frank absolutely dominated the adidas gauntlet tournament this past weekend, and I think his stock will raise even higher. It sounds like most of the major coaches interested in him were at the tournament. I think Utah had some coaches there (Conner??, not totally sure), but my understanding is that Krystkowiak was at the Masters tournament (this was something reported on SLC radio, apparently). I get that Larry needs some time to re-charge, and he certainly deserves it, but this past weekend was the beginning of the basketball recruiting period. My understanding is that it's a pretty critical period for coaches to evaluate and recruit. I find it a bit curious (and maybe a bit depressing) if Larry wasn't out evaluating and recruiting during this period... but I may not understand the full context of the situation (someone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken here).

It is my understanding that Utah coach(es) will be visiting an international prospect sometime on or around the 23rd. I won't name who I think it is (because I don't honestly know who... I have my suspicion).

By my count, Utah will have four slots to fill for the 2016 class (assuming Poeltl stays this year, but leaves the following year). I hope Frank Jackson is one of them. It is worth noting that even if he does commit to Utah, he doesn't really fill into the plans for 2016 since he intends to serve a mission immediately (at least that is what I have seen reported). That still would leave 4 slots to fill. It will be fun to see who Utah targets and commits for the 2016 class. I expect to hear some noise (and see some commitments) before we begin the next season. Some players for the 2016 class would like their recruitment to be finished before their senior year of HS starts, so they avoid that distraction during their season. (Frank Jackson has said he wants his recruitment to be over before his HS season starts this fall). I expect Utah will have a few commitments by the mid-to-late fall, but that's me guessing.

Anyway.... curious on other people's thoughts on Hoops recruiting. Will Utah be able to use this season and their extra coverage and exposure to get some higher-profile prospects for the 2016 class?? You have to think the Utes success doesn't hurt in keeping Frank Jackson's attention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News