ADVERTISEMENT

BYU at Utah basketball (11/27)

ex'dute

All-American Poster
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2012
There have been a couple of good comments in the Chandler thread about the upcoming BYU game on Nov. 27 — but I thought I would break it out into its own thread.

I know it has only been one game in the Craig Smith era (two if you count Westminster), but I like what I see so far from the team. There are a lot of new faces, but still plenty of experience. Jenkins, Anthony and Battin are all in their fourth years of college basketball — and so is Both Gach (if he is allowed to play). Carlson is older as a returned missionary and in his third year of college basketball. Worster has a full year of college experience at the Mountain West level. The guys defend and rebound and certainly won't back down from the Cougars.

Plus the game is at the Huntsman Center. While our home fan base hasn't been great, I hope it's good for this game and the curtains are removed. We won't have a football excuse — because our game against Colorado is the day before on Friday afternoon. By contrast, the Cougar football team may be going head-to-head against the basketball game. The Zoobs play USC at the Coliseum that day and the Pac-12 hasn't announced the time yet. Here's hoping it's a night game — so Zoob fans will have the Sophie's Choice of whether to watch football or infiltrate the Huntsman Center.

KenPom has us ranked 89th and BYU at 39th right now — but, after homecourt advantage is figured in, the Cougs are only a 1-point favorite on that site and it gives the Utes a 44% chance of winning. I'll take those odds.

Wouldn't it be great to beat Pope and the Cougars on the court with Chandler in the audience wondering if he made the right choice?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News