ADVERTISEMENT

Best recruiting class, prior five years.

Which of the above five classes was the best (or will be the best)?

Votes: 9 11.7%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 2 2.6%

Votes: 5 6.5%

Votes: 60 77.9%

• Total voters

socal521rivals

All-American Poster
Jan 17, 2006
I didn't know that Utah actually cracked the Top 25. I thought YBu won the February Championship? meh.

So, I had some time (thanks to working non-stop since Friday) and looked up the past five classes to see how they stacked up. Here is what I found:

I'm listing each class, by signing year, with the Rivals rank, then total signees (per Rivals), then total # of four-stars, then the average star rating. Next I give you the Top 5 signees by rivals rating and then the "other notables" from the class, sorted by descending order of Rivals rating.

Really surprising that we have a revers Oreo effect going on. No, I don't mean white kid, black kid, white kid, more like the good stuff is not in the middle, it's the top and bottom. A lot of the middle-rated kids in each class are like...who? #milkcarton.

Without further ado:

2012: 29th ranked, 29 signees, 5 four-stars, average star rating 2.93. Top 5: Chase Hansen (5.8), Justin Thomas (5.8), Kelvin York (5.8), Cedrick Poutasi (5.8), Jr. Salt (5.8). Other notables (in descending Rival Rating order): Travis Wilson, Hunter Dimick, Hiva Latui, JJ Dielman, Brian Allen, Reginald Porter, Tenny Palepoi, Pasoni Tasini, Bubba Poole. Almost all of the rest, Reshawn Hooker notwithstanding are Milk Cartons and guys who didn’t dent the two-deep.

2013: 43rd, 23, 1-four star, 2.83 average: Top 5: Andre Lewis (5.8) (who?), Brandon Cox (5.7) (LMAO), Davion Orphey (5.7) (oookay?), Harrison Handley (5.6), Sam Tevi (5.6). Other Notables: Filipo Mokofisi, Tevin Carter, Devontae Booker, Troy McCormick, Salesi Uhatafe, Sesi Ianu, Evan Moeai. Note: there’s a lot of Milk Cartons between Tevi and Flip. RIP: King Gaius.

2014: 67th, 19, 1-four star, 2.63 average. Top 5: Jackson Barton (6), Allan Havili (5.6), Donovan Isom (5.6), Andre Godfrey (5.6), Amone Finau (5.5 – Mission?). Other Notables: Ray-Ray Singleton, Pita Tonga, Kaelin Clay, Marcus Williams, Kenric Young, Pasoni Tasini (high school), Tavaris Williams, Casey Hughes, Howard Pututau. Very few absolute Milk Cartons: Kyle Christensen and Dacorius “breaking, the law, breaking the law” Law.

2015: 41st, 26, 1-four star, 2.82 average. Top 5: Cory Butler (aka, Cory Butler-Bird) (5.8), Darrin Paulo (5.7), Phillip Afia (5.7), Cody Barton (5.7), Geore “Siaosi” Wilson (5.6). Other Notables: retired, transferred, spring ball hero, not yet, not yet, ditto, ditto, ditto, so on and so forth… Kyle Fulks, Brittain Covey, Joe Williams, Jordan Fogal. Seriously: the bottom four guys and the top guy and #4 guy are all that have made an impact so far.

2016: 34th, 28, 3-four stars, 2.82 average. Top 5: Garrett Bolles (6), Troy Williams (5.8), Maxs Tupai (5.8), Tyler Huntley (5.7), Semisi Lauaki (5.7). Other Notables: David Lauafatasaga, missionary, missionary, Tucker Scott, missionary, Demari Simpkins, Alec Dana, Scott “Pick-A-Peck-of-Pickles” Peck, Zac Moss, missionary, Terrell Burgess, Fua Pututau, Davir Hamilton, Julian Blackmon, Donovan Thompson, Bradlee Anae, missionary, Samson Nacua, DH-C, Leki “4-2” Fotu, Nygel King, #RayGuy, Armand “Shine on Your Crazy Diamond” Shyne.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News