ADVERTISEMENT

Whittingham, Jaylon Johnson, and Tareke Lewis Interview Notes: 8/17

Alex Markham

All-American Poster
Staff
Nov 16, 2011
I’m throwing all of these in together, because there really wasn’t a ton of big things today. Honestly, everyone is just ready for the season to get going...

Whittingham:

-After giving out there third scholarship in the last few days to Mason woodward, the Utes are now at their 25 initials allowed for this year. Unless I missed something, Devaughn Vele has yet to get one which is a bit surprising, but I’d expect (my opinion, nothing Whitt said) one to come soon in the form of a push-forward scholarship.

-As of today, Andy Straud would be the starting placekicker, but that’s not a lock. Whittingham also still doesn’t sound the most confident in this group.

-The guys are just ready to hit someone else.

Tareke Lewis:

-He's excited to show everyone what he can do starting alongside Jaylon Johnson.

-He also said that Jaylon is easily the best CB in the country and that that has help his growth and helped push him, ever since he’s been here.

-I asked who would lead the team in interceptions and he said that he would. I asked him jokingly if that’s because the other teams will test him and try to avoid Jaylon, and he had a good laugh and said that, no, he planned on leading the team on that regardless.

-He also mentioned that Bronson Boyd has really made a nice transition to the CB group.

Jaylon Johnson:

-The key to his continued improvement this year, as well as the rest of the CBs, is consistency.

-While he’s not a captain, he takes great pride in leading and motivating his group.

-His individual honors he’s getting are great, but he’s not satisfied and knows there’s still a lot of work to do. It’s impressive because he knows how good he is, but he’s very self-aware that he needs to bring his best everyday.

-He had a great comment about what Sharrieff Shah means to him, and I’ll share that a little later.

-As an observation, Jaylon just has this quiet and humble confidence to himself and I’m sure it’s going to rub off on the whole team. He has the exact mentality that they need as a whole, with expectations placed in them going into the season.

-Ohhhh, and lastly... before I let him go, I said to him, “One more fall camp for you after this right?...” He just gave a big smile and said, “Yep.”... Look though, if he stays healthy, there’s honestly no reason for him t stay next season. In my opinion, Jaylon could start in some teams in the NFL, right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News