ADVERTISEMENT

Way OT: Small Time Legal Question

lchatt

All-American Poster
Oct 23, 2010
I know there are some really smart people on the board, so I figure I’d ask this here.

I got a speeding ticket recently, $150 not a huge deal. I made my mandatory appearance in Murray Justice Court and was told I had until today (Sept 14) to decide whether I wanted to fight it or pay it or plea in abeyance and do traffic school.

So I go in today with the intention to pay $150 traffic ticket + $50 for traffic school to keep it off my record. When I get to the traffic office, I’m told that a warrant has been issued because my payment was due yesterday, Sept 13. Because the warrant has been issued and they show Sept 13 in the system, I now have to pay an additional $125 and am not eligible for traffic school, so the ticket is going to cause my insurance to go up.

I am certain that the woman at the traffic office told me Sept 14. I remember immediately looking at my schedule and seeing that it was due on Pay day, so I would actually have the money to pay.

I was given no physical information about when my payment was due, just the original citation which told me I had 2 weeks to appear at Justice Court (which I already did on time).

I’m going to see a judge in a couple of weeks because I was told only a judge can reverse the warrant and allow me to do traffic school. I don’t really know how to approach the situation with the judge because although I’m sure that I was told the wrong date, I don’t have any evidence to support me. There was no receipt given of any kind. I asked if they could look at the recording of our interaction and they said no.

So... any thoughts on how to approach this? It’s not a ton of money but I am poor and a college student and I don’t feel like I should have to pay $125 due to someone else’s mistake.

Thanks!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News